Chicken Skin

Started by BigRich, January 09, 2014, 02:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRich

I've gotten the chicken skin as good as it can get I think but wanted to be sure so I'm asking you guys.  After the 3 hr smoke I put it in the oven on broil until the skin is 60/40 black/brown.  It's great.  Nice and crispy.

But I was wondering if you can get it to come out like a rotisserie chicken skin.

Saber 4

I get the rotisserie skin when I use my BCS or the SRG but I never got it that crispy in the oven. Did you preheat the oven or maybe try the broiler, just a thought?

BigRich

Yeah, nice and crispy.  Preheat the broiler then put in the chicken until the skin is 60/40 black.

But rotisserie chicken isn't crispy.  It's not rubbery either though.  It's kinda soft but not like chewy gum. Ya know?

Saber 4

When I first read your post I was thinking grocery store chicken that is kind of crispy if you get it right out of the rotisserie before it sits in the plastic tub for hours. I used to use the rotisserie on my gas grill for chicken and turkeys before I got the Bradley/SRG combo. Maybe you can use the chicken skin to justify another tool purchase ;)

BigRich

Actually, come to think of it, I have a little rotisserie machine.  Sits on the counter and plugs into the wall.  Not sure how that helps though.

I was talking about the grocery store rotisserie chickens.  It's not crispy at my store.  I guess it's comparable to thanksgiving oven roasted turkey skin.

Saber 4

Quote from: BigRich on January 10, 2014, 08:14:11 AM
Actually, come to think of it, I have a little rotisserie machine.  Sits on the counter and plugs into the wall.  Not sure how that helps though.

I was talking about the grocery store rotisserie chickens.  It's not crispy at my store.  I guess it's comparable to thanksgiving oven roasted turkey skin.

Look for a used SRG on craigslist and use it to finish the chicken and turkey after smoking in the Bradley, you won't be disappointed in the results, I did chicken legs in it last night and they were done in about 45 minutes with nice crispy skin and moist and juicy inside.

BigRich

I have a big easy also.  The chicken is great that I cook.  So is the skin, nice and crispy.

What I was asking was if I could cook the chicken differently so that the skin wasn't crispy.  I'd like to try it with more of a moist skin that also isn't rubbery.

KyNola

After you crisp up the skin, whether in a SRG, Big Easy or your house oven take the chicken and wrap it in foil and let it sit for 30-45 minutes or so.  I'm thinking that the steam coming off the chicken may soften the skin up a bit, much like the rotisserie chicken that you purchase in a store that sits in that plastic container until you take it home.

It's worth a try and as my friend CRG says "you can't hurt it, it's already dead".

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on January 10, 2014, 09:09:59 AM
After you crisp up the skin, whether in a SRG, Big Easy or your house oven take the chicken and wrap it in foil and let it sit for 30-45 minutes or so.  I'm thinking that the steam coming off the chicken may soften the skin up a bit, much like the rotisserie chicken that you purchase in a store that sits in that plastic container until you take it home.

It's worth a try and as my friend CRG says "you can't hurt it, it's already dead".

That's a good idea, if that's the result you're wanting you might also try spritzing with apple juice after it starts to crisp up, that might also make it moist but cooked and not rubbery, the rubbery comes from the fat in the skin not getting to render out as much as it does at higher temps.

BigRich

I've got 6 more in the freezer so I'll be able to try both suggestions.  Thx.  I'll post back in a few weeks on how they came out.

BigRich

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 10, 2014, 09:18:04 AMthe rubbery comes from the fat in the skin not getting to render out as much as it does at higher temps.

So what about a cold smoke then into the oven on a higher heat then the Bradley cooks it at normally (not broil) to render the fat in the skin?

Saber 4

I personally wouldn't cold smoke any poultry because of the time it would be in the danger zone of 40-140, others may have a different opinion. You could hot smoke at 220-230 for the duration of the smoke and then transfer to the oven or your counter top rotisserie unit, that is not an uncommon practice.

KyNola

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 10, 2014, 02:38:49 PM
I personally wouldn't cold smoke any poultry because of the time it would be in the danger zone of 40-140, others may have a different opinion. You could hot smoke at 220-230 for the duration of the smoke and then transfer to the oven or your counter top rotisserie unit, that is not an uncommon practice.
Bingo!