Brisket Advice for the Seahawks Game!!!

Started by Maximus1959, January 10, 2014, 06:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus1959

I have 2 "Choice" briskets from Costco I want to smoke for the Seahawks game tomorrow. Looking for some advice on the following...

Briskets weigh just under 2 pounds each
Using Digital 6 rack
Looking for 2 dry rub recipes. I want them to each have a different taste, but will smoke them together. What do you recommend?
I have all the different briquette flavors to choose from.
The temp in Seattle is around 45 degrees and raining.
I typically smoke them with the vent "wide open".
Do I need to trim them?

I am looking for something that will have a good texture on the outside and a moist warm center. I have done 6 of them so far and they have all varied in cook time and taste.

Maximus1959

Saber....

Your my guy. I know you have some great advice!

Saber 4

Sounds like your getting your briskets down to what you like, there will always be different cook times each cow is enough different to make a difference in time and texture. Since they are so small I would definitely watch the IT and do the fork test that others have pioneered and put them on the middle racks and rotate as needed.

As for rubs I don't think you can go wrong with Jan's rub for one and then for the second one use what you used on the best of the other 6.

I would use a cake pan with boiling water for heat recovery for sure after the smoke time is done. I like mesquite for brisket but it's practically the national smoker wood of Texas, others like hickory or oak, pecan would also be a good one for brisket.

I am of the vent wide open school of thought.

Others will have their methods and have much more experience with briskets in the Bradley than I have so pick your methods carefully from what everyone suggests and go with what works best for your style of cooking and tastes.

KyNola

If your briskets are under 2 pounds each you have pieces of a brisket.  The hard part in helping you with your questions is what piece of the brisket you have.  If they are from the flat you most likely don't need to trim them because most of the 2-3 pound brisket flats I have seen had already been trimmed.  If you have a 2-3 pound point, the points have much more fat in them and could maybe stand being trimmed if there is a big fat cap on them.

Any idea what portions of the brisket cut you have?

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on January 10, 2014, 07:43:19 PM
If your briskets are under 2 pounds each you have pieces of a brisket.  The hard part in helping you with your questions is what piece of the brisket you have.  If they are from the flat you most likely don't need to trim them because most of the 2-3 pound brisket flats I have seen had already been trimmed.  If you have a 2-3 pound point, the points have much more fat in them and could maybe stand being trimmed if there is a big fat cap on them.

Any idea what portions of the brisket cut you have?

Good points, maybe some pictures would help

Maximus1959

Shaped like a triangle. Appear to be pre-trimmed

How long should I cook them together?
Should I smoke them the entire time?
What internal temp should I shoot for 165degrees??

KyNola

If they are triangle shaped they are most likely points and since you said they appear to be pre trimmed, further trimming is probably unnecessary.  The smoking time is up to you but on a 2-3 pound brisket I would probably smoke for no more than 3 hours.  As for the IT, I would be looking for 180-185.  The points have more fat in them than the flats so you should have a moist piece of meat when finished.  At 165 you may be risking a tough piece of meat.

One hint, mark the pieces so you can tell which way the grain runs because you want to slice against the grain when serving.  What I do to mark them is to go to a corner of the piece and slice the corner off against the grain.  That way you will know where to begin slicing.

Even though I am a Saints fan I am freely giving you this information because we are all on the same team here. :)

Maximus1959