Yummy smoked venison

Started by Rad Rich, January 11, 2014, 04:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad Rich

Hi guys I haven't posted in a while.  Still been smokin like crazy.  This is my last bit of venison two loins that I soaked I buttermilk and spices for about 5 hrs wrapped in bacon seasoned and just put them in gonna put an hour and 20 mins of hickory on them.  Yum yum
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

Rad Rich

Saber 4

Bet that's going to be good when it's done.

PapaC

I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

Rad Rich

Saber 4

That would make some great sandwiches and taco's for sure.

BruceG1964

they look delicious ! what temp did you smoke them ? 1:20 time ?

Rad Rich

I smoked them for 120 minutes of hickory and had them in there for about 2 hours. Temp was about 165 I probably would have pulled at 145 or 150 but had my brother over and the cocktails made me lose track of time!  They were really good nice and tender and moist from the bacon.  The buttermilk soak is key with venison. Usually I brush on a little bourbon and BBQ sauce near the end but like I said I kind of lost track of time. Come to think of it the bourbon probably had a lot to do with that.

Rad Rich

Oh and make sure you slice it nice and thin. 1/4 to a 1/2 inch at the most.

ragweed

Looks fantastic!!  What temp was your smoker set at?

Rad Rich

I had the Bradley cranked at about 235.,  like I said I should have pulled them a little earlier when the venison was about 150.  I got side tracked and I like the bacon to get a little more cooked.  I usually ad some salt pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic to the buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk you can use 1 tablespoon to each cup of milk of lemon juice. Stir a little and let it sit for 10 mins.  It works great let the venison soak in it for at least a few hours.

ragweed

Thanks Rad Rich.  We've had kind of a down year due I think to the EHD in 2012.  I've been saving the loins for something special from the one deer I did get.  Think I'll try your recipe.  Thanks for posting.