Whole chicken smoke/cook time? Hoping for answer quickly!

Started by chiroken, January 12, 2014, 10:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

Hello again everyone!

Been awhile since I've done a whole chicken and have found that I haven't taken notes on doing this before. A quick seach online and I can't find the time needed.

No brine, just over 5lbs, plan on smoking at the typical 225^ and plan on using one of those funnel like cages that go up the middle and keep the bird vertical. Looking for ideas on how many hours so I can gage when to put her in!

Thanks
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Saber 4

You could put it in the smoker at 220 for your smoke time then swap it to a hot oven or SRG/TBE/Grill to finish, that way you can get a better skin. As for time I can't really help there because I go by IT 165 and look.

RedJada

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 12, 2014, 10:19:36 AM
You could put it in the smoker at 220 for your smoke time then swap it to a hot oven or SRG/TBE/Grill to finish, that way you can get a better skin. As for time I can't really help there because I go by IT 165 and look.

I agree with saber. If you cant measure the IT then don't chance it. Just crank your smoker up and let it hit 220 min. Put the bird in and smoke for how long you want, 1-2 hours should be good. Keep vent wide open for chicken. Finish inside in the oven at 350 for about another hour. You really want an IT of 160.

chiroken

I do go by IT but you still sort of need to know general time frame for how long it takes to get a bird to a certain IT at a certain cooking temperature. I track various things I smoke (ie pork loin/tenderloin, chicken breasts etc). If it takes 4 hours to get to 145^ and at least an hour in the oven to get to 165^ then you aren't starting it at 4pm and hoping for a 7pm dinner party. You're guests will be waiting 2-3 hours for dinner.

Thanks.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Saber 4

Quote from: chiroken on January 12, 2014, 02:17:14 PM
I do go by IT but you still sort of need to know general time frame for how long it takes to get a bird to a certain IT at a certain cooking temperature. I track various things I smoke (ie pork loin/tenderloin, chicken breasts etc). If it takes 4 hours to get to 145^ and at least an hour in the oven to get to 165^ then you aren't starting it at 4pm and hoping for a 7pm dinner party. You're guests will be waiting 2-3 hours for dinner.

Thanks.

I've never had the same type of meat cook in near enough time on different days to have a solid answer, I just start early and figure I can keep it hot or re-heat if I finish to early. Sorry that's the best I've got, maybe the more experienced types can give a better time frame for you.

Habanero Smoker

I can't provide a time frame for you either. I use to keep logs, which is a very good idea. Now I have a dual element mod, and everything cooks faster then the single element (due to reduced recovery times).

With poultry and other small cuts of meat, if you find you are running short of time move it to the oven or grill and finish at a high temperature. For chicken finish by oven roasting at 375°F; this will also improve the skin texture. For pork loins and tenderloins I will use a oven temperature of 350°F, and loosely tent.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)