First go-'round.

Started by Beekeeper, January 13, 2014, 04:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beekeeper

Yesterday, Sunday, we finally had a nice day in the midwest, with temps near 60 degrees.  I decided my new Bradley Digital Smoker had been sitting long enough!  Saturday evening we whipped up a batch of Jan's Rub, and doctored up 2 slabs of ribs for Sunday.  After pouring over many posts on this forum, I decided to use the advice shared by Tenpoint5 in his excellent tutorial, and give it a go.  I followed the tutorial to the letter, and I gotta say..............these were some of the best ribs I have ever smoked.........or put in my belly, as far as that goes!  I took a few pictures along the way.  (I know the saying "No pictures.........didn't happen".......so I got that covered!

Removed the membrane, and doused them down with Jan's Rub

Set the temp to 220, warmed up the smoker box and smoke generator, loaded up the hickory pucks, and let Mr. Bradley work his magic.

I gave them 3 hours of smoke at 220-230, then pulled them, wrapped them in foil with apple juice, and let them go another 2 hours.  This was the result before I sauced them for the final hour.

I pulled them out of the foil, slathered them with Sweet Baby Rays Hickory sauce, and gave them another 1 hour, 20 minutes at 200 degrees.  The smell was killing me...........but I was patient and left them be until dinner.  Here is the end result:

Man, these were REALLY good!  Tender, juicy, and just about perfect texture.  Not falling off the bone, but it took very little effort to remove the meat from the bone.  All in all, I am extremely happy with the results.

I have to thank all the folks on the forum for sharing your secrets, techniques and recipes.  A special thanks to Tenpoint5 for his excellent tutorial, complete with pictures.  Also, Kynola and his wife for Jan's Rub.  This stuff would taste good on Cereal...........it's THAT good!  My wife and I enjoy camping with our travel trailer, so the next project is smoking some cheese while the weather is still cool.  I want to have some good smoked cheese for our camping outings this year.  Thanks again everyone............tomorrow I am firing up the water jet at work, and cutting me some bubba pucks!

ragweed

Congratulations!  Those are some nice lookin' ribs.  Me thinks you're hooked.   :) :)

UncleAl

Ribs look really good I think ragweed is right your hooked, welcome to your new addiction.   :) :) :)

BAM1

Nice looking ribs.  Looks like you've been bitten.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Saber 4

And thus the addiction begins, welcome to the dark side, next you'll be doing bacon and sausages. ;)

Beekeeper

Thanks everyone!  I have fresh venison, and yes, sausage is on the list soon!  I'm looking forward to smoking some cheese in the next couple of weeks, so it can age and be ready come camping season.  Fun stuff, this high tech smoking!    :)

A few observations regarding my first real time use of this smoker, which may help others down the road:

*  I did follow the pre-heat instructions, and the unit recovered nicely once the meat was placed in the smoker.
*  I did let the meat rest at room temp. for about an hour before placing it on the racks.
*  I used boiling water to fill the water bowl, both at the beginning, and after the 3 hour smoking period.  Recovery was fairly fast doing this.
*  I used my Igrill to monitor the unit temp. only.  After the smoker stabilized, the reading between the probe and the digital oven temp. reading
    was within 5 degrees of one another.  I was happy to see that I could put some reliance on the temp. readings of the unit itself.
*  The Igrill probe was placed in between the 2nd and 3rd rack, in the middle of the oven.  (I had rib sections on all 4 racks.)

Cool down, and clean up was fairly easy, and it's all ready to go for next time.  This far, I am very happy with my Bradley Smoker!

beefmann

Smokesmore

I just did my first smoke on my Bradley as well.  I did baby backs and they turned out pretty good. I need to tweak my recipe a little and maybe use some of your tricks. Either way... nice rack you got there, looks delicious.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tailfeathers

"Nice rack" "nice butt" boy I'm glad my kids don't frequent this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

STLstyle

Nothin better than some good ribs IMO.  Nice work. 

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo