Help please.

Started by hutcho, January 12, 2014, 02:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

Yes, the polarity matters.  I doubt that it is 133 degrees below zero in the cooking chamber.   ;D

Switch the wiring inside the plug or at the panel mount, don't just try to turn the plug around.  The prongs are not the same size.

How to handle the braided metal shielding at the mini connectors

Mini connector installation guide for PVC thermocouple cable

hutcho

Quote from: TedEbear on January 13, 2014, 08:02:26 PM

How to handle the braided metal shielding at the mini connectors

Mini connector installation guide for PVC thermocouple cable

I kind of figured that could be the issue.  Out of bed early this morning to give it a shot before work.  Also I dont think you could flip it and plug it in, unless you were really forcing it! Lol!

Were those last 2 things you posted links?  Not sure what you meant there....?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

TedEbear

Quote from: hutcho on January 14, 2014, 03:10:45 AM

Were those last 2 things you posted links?  Not sure what you meant there....?

Yes, links to details on the wiring for the TC plugs.  Click on the links.

hutcho

Crap they arent working for me.  I swapped the leads in the plug this morning and reset the pid to 130 temp so I could see if before work and it fired up and held between 130-131 with the bradley showing about 142.  Looks like its working great now! Just some fine tuning to do now.  Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it! Gonna make a build thread now or maybe just change this one to that.  Seems to be a bit of interest in mounting the pid in a dbs. Thanks again man!!

TedEbear

Fabulous!  Glad you got it working.  Persistence pays off.   :)

I'm sure there are others who would be interested in seeing the details of how to install a PID controller in a digital Bradley SG, as everyone up to now said there's not enough room.  With over 260 views of your thread thus far it seems you have quite a silent audience here.

hutcho

I tried to remember to take a few pics as I went but got lost in the moment and forgot.  I may pull it all apart this week and get some good photos.   It honestly was a very simple project.  It is a pain to get it together, gotta put pid side in first then slide the back around.  If I could do it again I would raise the pid about 1/8-1/4" so it would clear the white box ib the bottom better.  And make the hole look a little nicer.   HF Dremel was sucking it up so I broke out the tin snips lol!

TedEbear

Quote from: hutcho on January 14, 2014, 09:30:36 AMIf I could do it again I would raise the pid about 1/8-1/4" so it would clear the white box ib the bottom better.  And make the hole look a little nicer.   HF Dremel was sucking it up so I broke out the tin snips lol!

I drilled several holes near the corners where I wanted the square cutout and then used a jigsaw to make the cuts.  Something like blue painters tape covering the metal will prevent scratches.  I used a Dremel and a metal file to fine-tune the edges.

Wow, over 300 views now.   ;D

devo

Nice setup for the digital. I have the digital but prefer my plug & play as I use it for many different things. Plug & play allows you to be portable with your PID. I use in the smoker for sausage and then move it to the hot water bath to keep a steady temp on the water. Guess you would have to buy another pid if you ever need a PID for another application.  I also use it for sous vide cooking.

hutcho

Quote from: devo on January 15, 2014, 06:10:20 AM
Nice setup for the digital. I have the digital but prefer my plug & play as I use it for many different things. Plug & play allows you to be portable with your PID. I use in the smoker for sausage and then move it to the hot water bath to keep a steady temp on the water. Guess you would have to buy another pid if you ever need a PID for another application.  I also use it for sous vide cooking.

Do you have a home built waterbath? For now I plan on just finishing in the bradley.  I do like the plug and plays but the buikd it yourself offers so many more options, and at 40-80 bucks a pop I will just add another when I do that project.  Not nearly as convenient or cost effective but it makes for a nice clean install, and makes for a fun project.

hutcho

Quote from: TedEbear on January 15, 2014, 04:44:37 AM
Quote from: hutcho on January 14, 2014, 09:30:36 AMIf I could do it again I would raise the pid about 1/8-1/4" so it would clear the white box ib the bottom better.  And make the hole look a little nicer.   HF Dremel was sucking it up so I broke out the tin snips lol!

I drilled several holes near the corners where I wanted the square cutout and then used a jigsaw to make the cuts.  Something like blue painters tape covering the metal will prevent scratches.  I used a Dremel and a metal file to fine-tune the edges.

Wow, over 300 views now.   ;D

Thats what I should have done.  Didn't have a jigsaw at the house and it was my only day to do it so I made due.  Thinking about making a trim plate to put around it later anyways.  One thing I have never liked about those kind of devices, you gotta be exactly perfect the first time or you're screwed.  Trim ring or something would be nice to hide defects....

devo

Quote from: hutcho on January 15, 2014, 07:53:24 AM
Quote from: devo on January 15, 2014, 06:10:20 AM

Do you have a home built waterbath? For now I plan on just finishing in the bradley.  I do like the plug and plays but the buikd it yourself offers so many more options, and at 40-80 bucks a pop I will just add another when I do that project.  Not nearly as convenient or cost effective but it makes for a nice clean install, and makes for a fun project.

No I use on one of those turkey cookers. and also on a small fridge for fermentation as I do a lot of dry cured sausage. Have even used it in the green house to control the heat on those cooler nights in the spring time. Some people use them for incubators for there chicks.  Being portable helps me out a lot.