Brisket moisture

Started by BBNRules, January 13, 2014, 10:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBNRules

How often in terms of hours/minutes would you slather the brisket to maintain moist fibers so it won't dry out.  I hate to open and cause the heat to have to catch up all the time.  thanks

Saber 4

I don't do anything during the smoke phase, then I spritz or mop every couple of hours when I rotate the rack. And I switch to a 9x13 disposable cake pan with hot water after the smoke to help with heat recovery, then I take a hot tea kettle with me when I rotate racks and refresh the pan as needed. Others will have their methods so pick the one that makes the most sense to you and go for it.

tailfeathers

I'm with Saber. I just spritz it with apple juice in a spray bottle when I turn it or rotate the rack. I do the same with ribs or butt as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

rexster

Too much moisture and you won't have any bark on the brisket and it'll just be a gray hunk of smoked meat
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

devo

I always like reading this over when I do a brisket as I don't do many but when I do they come out awsome.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882&highlight=brisket+flat+point+fat

Ka Honu

Check out the tutorials by Pachanga on the recipe site. He is the brisketmeister (and an entertaining and informative author).

STLstyle

You can always inject for more moisture.  I recommend injecting from the top of the flat taking care not to poke all the way through at 1" intervals.  This will add moisture.  I use beef broth / little Worcestershire / garlic powder to taste.  Should be beefy...
Can sprits / mop every hour or so after smoking.

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Saber 4

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 13, 2014, 01:43:22 PM
Check out the tutorials by Pachanga on the recipe site. He is the brisketmeister (and an entertaining and informative author).

So true.

KyNola

Here is what I do.  I inject the brisket with beef stock and when you think it won't hold anymore, inject some more.  Apply your Rub of choice and go to the smoker.  Smoke for 3-4 hours with hickory(c'mon, what else would KY boys use?) at 225.  Continue to cook until the IT of the brisket hits 140.  Remove from the smoker, wrap in foil with a splash of additional beef stock, seal the package and back in the smoker until the IT hits 185.  If you want more of a "pulled" type texture, take the IT to 195-200.

BBNRules

"Here is what I do.  I inject the brisket with beef stock and when you think it won't hold anymore, inject some more.  Apply your Rub of choice and go to the smoker.  Smoke for 3-4 hours with hickory(c'mon, what else would KY boys use?) at 225.  Continue to cook until the IT of the brisket hits 140.  Remove from the smoker, wrap in foil with a splash of additional beef stock, seal the package and back in the smoker until the IT hits 185.  If you want more of a "pulled" type texture, take the IT to 195-200."

Sounds like a plan.  One concern I have, maybe it's not a concern, you'll let me know ha ha.  The concern is do you still use the Maverick 732 meat probe in the brisket?  Poking a hole in the foil would cause the liquid to leave prematurely.  Or will it?  I have no idea.  How often do you add a spritz or a mop?  I was thinking about placing it on the rack so it's the top item in the smoker so I can simply spritz down the smoke vent and not open the door.  After it's been in the foil, do you put it back in to get the bark a little dryer?

KyNola

Stick the probe in from the top of the package and "seal" the foil around it, being careful not to go all the way through the brisket and piercing the bottom of the package.  A little steam escaping around the probe will not be a big deal.  There will be no need to spritz as the liquid in the package will take care of that for you.  Oh!  When you take the package out once you decide it is done, open the package carefully because you should have a decent amount of delicious liquid in the package.  Pour that off into a container and allow the fat to separate.  Remove the fat. What will remain is liquid gold.  Use that liquid to put on your sliced brisket.

On a brisket I don't concern myself with a dryer bark like I would on a pork butt.  Just a personal preference.

Best thing you can do is get a good brisket, preferably a "choice" grade or better.

KyNola

Quick correction for you.  Went back and looked at my notes.  Wait until your brisket goes through the stall prior to foiling, say around an IT of 160 or so.

Sorry for the misinformation earlier.

BBNRules

Quick correction for you.  Went back and looked at my notes.  Wait until your brisket goes through the stall prior to foiling, say around an IT of 160 or so.
Sorry for the misinformation earlier.

Wow, brisket is intense.  I may have to take a chemist to the store with me, or at the very least 3 pages of detailed instructions just on how to buy the right brisket.  I'm leaning towards just flats.  Burnt ends mesmerize me.  I did read that look for one that's at least 30 days old, preferably 45 to 60.  I also read, just like your advice, buy choice or go to another store.  I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.  Thanks again to all of you seasoned veterans out there making it easier for us newbies to get it right the first time.

tailfeathers

I'm with Kynola on this. I foil mine as soon as the temp resumes climbing after the stall and take it off at 185-190 IT. At that point you unwrap to serve or wrap the still-foiled meat  with a towel and put in an insulated container (cooler or styrofoam box) for up to four hours and it will still be piping hot. Save the juice when you unwrap it for sure! If you have one near you I would check Costco for brisket. Ours has packer cut prime grade briskets for around $2.50/lb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

STLstyle

Wish Costco had packers in my area.  Have to go to SAMs for them here...

Love those burnt ends just as much as the flat.  You know what they say, "once you go pack (ER), you never go back."   

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo