Adding a second element

Started by Grizzlybaer3890, January 13, 2014, 02:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlybaer3890

Hey all iv been reading a lot into adding a second element I want to do it but I want it to run threw the digital generator not a pid less bulk could someone please walk me threw this as far as once the second element is installed I need help from there to not overload the digital control please help its cold up here in sask and i need my smoke fix!!!
Smoke it like you stole it!!!

hutcho

We just had a discussion on this.   I'm sure someone has the link,  it was pretty comical really.  But the general rule of thumb is to go pid when you do upgrade your element.  So far no one has done it without, or at least admitted to it.....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Grizzlybaer3890

I'd like to be a pioneer then lol I'm not a super technical guy just want my bradley to get up and get going is all.

RedJada

rexster

This is going to get interesting.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

devo

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

hutcho

Not the same really.   Guy is clearly new and probably didn't search first.   At least he didn't question everything said and tell everyone they are wrong because the don't have proof (or something like that)....yet...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Saber 4

Someone posted a thread on a PID they mounted in the digital smoke generator box that should give you the control you'll need and no bulk to get in the way, at least that would be my suggestion.

Grizzlybaer3890

I am new and I have done lots of research I spend the majority of my day on the web as I haul oil in south east sask I understand that a pid gives me better control of temps and what not but I'm trying to keep my costs down (as my wife and I are expecting and I'd get shot if I spent a bunch on my smoker at this pont) so unless there's a cheaper rout for me to get a second element in I'm open to all comments at this point

Saber 4

I can't find the post I was looking at earlier, but I think the mounted PID is only about $45 if I'm remembering correctly, hopefully someone else will be able to put up the link showing what was done. I certainly can understand saving money with one on the way, I decided not to modify mine because I can keep the heat recovery issues at bay with a cake pan and boiling water.

Saber 4

Typed to soon, here is the link to the thread I was referring to, you can post to it or send them a PM on how much it cost and what they did. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34268.0;topicseen

Grizzlybaer3890

Hutcho this is ur set up? If so could you walk me threw it?

GusRobin

The only way I would do the second element without a PID would be to run it with its own on/off switch. The I would use it just to get to temp then turn it off and continue the cook with just 1 element. I would have a brick in there as a heat sink. If I opened the door for whatever reason I would manually turn on the second element and then turn it off when it got to temp. I have done this when my PId went out and I was waiting for it to be returned from repair.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.