Adding a second element

Started by Grizzlybaer3890, January 13, 2014, 02:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutcho

Hey thats my post! Still trying to get it dialed in right.  I planned on posting a build up thread sometime this week. I will try and do it at lunch tommorow.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

TedEbear

Quote from: Grizzlybaer3890 on January 13, 2014, 06:25:41 PM
Hutcho this is ur set up? If so could you walk me threw it?

Up until now, the only PIDs that were installed in the SG were with the non-digital Bradley.  People said there wasn't enough room to do it in the digital but the pics in the above link show it is possible.  I installed mine in the SG but I have an original Bradley.  The PID controller itself was around $45.  By the time you add a SSR, K-type TC, heat sink, and miscellaneous parts the cost will be around $70-$80, depending on what you can scrounge up or have to purchase.  I salvaged a heat sink off some old electronics they were tossing out at work. 

Here's the "how-to", written for the original Bradley: Adding a PID Controller

Here's my setup:

The "guts":   :)

Grizzlybaer3890

I like the price and it looks clean but I have a digital I dunno if this would work with digital
Smoke it like you stole it!!!

hutcho

It fits.   Its tight but it does.

Grizzlybaer3890

And u have a second element hutcho?

hutcho

Not yet.  Plan to add fan and 2nd element in the future.  Gonna try and have the pid control the fan as well.  Not that its needed but it would be fun to mess with.

Grizzlybaer3890

Ya I'm wondering now.... If I should order this stuff when I get payed on Wednesday... I just have no electrical confidence

TedEbear

Quote from: Grizzlybaer3890 on January 13, 2014, 07:50:41 PM
This one?

I'm not sure which one hutcho has.  Mine is the Auber SYL-2352

If you're not confident of your electrical abilities, I don't know that I'd recommend doing this.

Grizzlybaer3890

I guess I shouldn't say not confident I just have to completely understand the setup before I can let myself attempt anything I'm the kind of person who will research something for a month before making a solid decision.

Grizzlybaer3890

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart

Alright I have created a shopping list tell me what u think I added the compact enclosure so that I could just mount it to the side of the sg

TedEbear

The link says the shopping cart is empty.  I think it sends a cookie to your computer as you add things to the cart and I didn't get any cookies.   :(

Anyway, if you're adding a stand-alone enclosure you might look at the single probe Programmable PID Controller for Bradley Smoker.  By the time you add up everything to do this it probably wouldn't cost all that much more for the plug-n-play version.  I just liked the neat and tidy install in the SG when I first saw the how-to guide.  I like tinkering with things, I occasionally work with PID controllers on my job and it seemed like a fun project.

Grizzlybaer3890

Ya I just like the idea of tinkering and being able to say I built that still not over 100 bucks for the four items

hutcho

Here is what I ordered.  Mine is the 2352 with the ramp/soak option.  By the time you figure in the control box I would think getting the single probe preprogrammed package would be close in price and by far easier.  If you are wanting to do it yourself I would seriously consider looking at the manual and making sure you can understand it, its a very boring read and has a steep learning curve but can be done.

I hope you can see everything on the pic.

Alanfromwis

Grizzlybaer3890,
  I made a add on controller that uses the Bradley Digital controller to turn on & off the the 900 watt finned element through a SSR. I am no longer using it as I purchased a Auber SLY 2342. If you want to try this, I can send it to you. Installation is straight forward with the power cord from the Bradley controller plugging into the the unit with the SSR, & output pigtail plugging into Bradley oven. It has a power pigtail that plugs into wall outlet for power. There are no mods whatsoever required to install. This will handle much more than the 1000 watt dual element, but does not improve the Bradley temp swings. It has a built in 120vac to 9vdc converter to power the 3 to 32 vdc required to power the SSR.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday