Cure Differances

Started by Water101, January 14, 2014, 08:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Water101

Hi,

Being in Canada finding pink salt is tough. I have made bacon numerous times and substituted ready cure for Cure #1 or pink salt and it works really well. I was told by Canada Compound that the difference between Prague powder and ready cure is the ready cure has salt added in already. They do sell Prague powder but only in a 25KG bag so I would have it for ever or at least a 40 year supply. The price is good only $39.00 for the bag. Can I keep using ready cure and should I change the amount I add or would I be just better off getting the Prague powder and hope I smoke more or live long enough to use it all. I was planning on doing some Canadian bacon this week habanero's way

Thanks
Water

renoman

The Prague powder is just simpler to use so I would get some. You don't have to figure out how much salt is going into your recipes like with a ready cure. I use both so if the recipe calls for one or the other I don't have to do the math.

renoman

You can order it here but I am not sure what the shipping will be. They are just a few minutes for me so I have never had anything shipped.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/items/items-5-S1-lV1BS-lV2B-INGREDI-lV3B-INCURING-lV4B-CURASSTD-lV5B-CURASSTD.aspx?store=

There is also a recipe for making a Mortons Tender Quick substitute on the Susan Minor recipes. I believe it was done by Habanero Smoker.

Water101

Thanks renoman, I may just but it and be done with it. I read a little more and did the conversion since the ready cure is supposed to be only 1% nitrite and Prague powder or Cure#1 are around 6, I would have to use 6 times as much cure. I never have in the past and it seems to work out well. I also vacuum seal my bacon right away and it gets eaten by friends and family quickly.

Water101

According to my calculations and from what I read from Habanero is should be 3.2 OZ of readycure for 10 LBS of meat, which is what the back says as well. It calls fro 2 lbs of cure for every 100 lbs of meat.

NePaSmoKer

Prague Powder #1
Also called Insta-Cure and Modern Cure. Cures are used to prevent meats from spoiling when being cooked or smoked at low temperatures (under 200 degrees F). This cure is 1 part sodium nitrite (6.25%) and 16 parts salt (93.75%) and are combined and crystallized to assure even distribution. As the meat temperate rises during processing, the sodium nitrite changes to nitric oxide and starts to 'gas out' at about 130 degrees F. After the smoking /cooking process is complete only about 10-20% of the original nitrite remains. As the product is stored and later reheated for consumption, the decline of nitrite continues. 4 ounces of Prague powder #1 is required to cure 100 lbs of meat. A more typical measurement for home use is 1 level tsp per 5 lbs of meat. Mix with cold water, then mix into meat like you would mix seasonings into meat.

Prague Powder #2
Used to dry-cure products. Prague powder #2 is a mixture of 1 part sodium nitrite, .64 parts sodium nitrate and 16 parts salt. (1 oz. of sodium nitrite with .64 oz. of sodium nitrate to each lb. of salt.)
It is primarily used in dry-curing Use with products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. This cure, which is sodium nitrate, acts like a time release, slowly breaking down into sodium nitrite, then into nitric oxide. This allows you to dry cure products that take much longer to cure. A cure with sodium nitrite would dissipate too quickly.
Use 1 oz. of cure for 25 lbs. of meat or 1 level teaspoon of cure for 5 lbs. of meat when mixing with meat.
When using a cure in a brine solution, follow a recipe.

Water101

Thanks NaPAsmoker. It looks like I will need to use more of the ready cure about 6 times more by weight to get the same result, I will lower the salt requirements as well to even things out. I must have gotten luck so far after about 300lbs of making bacon I have learnt something new. I think I was using half  to a 1/3 of what I should have been

jiggerjams

I'll split it with you if you want. Just let me know.

Water101

Get back to work JJ. Call me when u get home tonight.

Habanero Smoker

Prague Powder is a brand name for Cure #1. In Canada you may also find Cure #1 under the name of Sure Cure. The below link will provide more information on curing salts.

Curing Salts

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

porkdog324

Hi All

This is my first post here. I've had my digital 4 rack Bradley for a month now.

I was wanting to make some bacon using tenpoint's maple bacon recipe.

I have morton's tender quick.

10's recipe calls for these ingredients:

2 oz. Kosher salt (about 1/4 cup)
2 tsp. Cure #1 (aka pink salt, InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1)
1/4 C. Maple sugar or packed brown sugar
1/4 C. Maple syrup

5 lb. fresh pork belly
(Makes enough for a 5 lb. belly)

From the info I've read, I should be  able to use the Morton's in place of the Kosher salt and the Cure #1.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Brent

Habanero Smoker

Yes!

Use the TQ at 1 tablespoon per pound. Since TQ is around 30% sugar, that will add about 1.5 tablespoons of extra sweetener for a 5 pound slab, so you may or may not want to adjust the brown sugar, though I don't think that amount will increase the sweetness too much.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DiggingDogFarm

FWIW, TQ is only 2% sugar.

=Martin=

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: DiggingDogFarm on February 04, 2014, 03:45:33 PM

=Martin=

Hiya Martin

Good to see you here.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: DiggingDogFarm on February 04, 2014, 03:45:33 PM

=Martin=

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the information. My calculations are different. Can you point me to a source of that information, so I can make the corrections on the recipe site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.