Summer Sausage W/Recipe

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 14, 2014, 08:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

This SS recipe i use allot.

For 5 lbs. You can use any combo of meat you like. This recipe today im using 4 lbs of 85/15 gb and 1 lb ground poke.

4 tsp salt (non iodized)
1 level tsp cure 1
4 t dry mustard (packed in spoon) i like Colemans
2 tsp paprika (you can use smoked)
2 tsp garlic granules
1.5 tsp ground coriander (packed)
1/2 cup nfpdm. Note: if its a course grain you should put it in something to make finer.
1/2 cup fermento. Note: You can use Saco buttermilk powder, its the same as fermento

2 Tbsp clear Karo
3/4 cup cold distilled water.

Fibrous casings 4-5 depending on diameter.

Here is the cure added to 1/2 cup water, whisk and dissolve. Once dissolved add this to the meat 1st. Mix well

This is what the dry mix should look like. If you like you can add to remaining water and mix into meat.

This is what your looking for in the mixed meat (well its what im looking for anyways) If needed at a bit more water.
If you have the larger KA mixer you can use for mixing, do yourself a favor and use the dough hook.

Got no time to stuff/smoke today so in the fridge with the SS mix for tomorrow.

You can find Saco at just about any market. Most of the time its located by the baking powders, choc chips and stuff.

Same stuff as Fermento

Karo

renoman

NePaSmoKer, Not sure I have ever seen cultured buttermilk in these parts. What is it's purpose? For flavour or for texture?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: renoman on January 14, 2014, 08:39:59 AM
NePaSmoKer, Not sure I have ever seen cultured buttermilk in these parts. What is it's purpose? For flavour or for texture?

Adds a tang to the meat from the lactic acid in the Saco. Same as if you used fermento or ECA, Encapsulated Citric Acid

NePaSmoKer

Getting the clear fibrous casings soak in lukewarm smokey water, inside also. 45 mins to 1 hour

Got the LEM filled with bout 4 1/4 lbs. Even though its a 5 lb stuffer it will not hold all 5 lbs.

Stuffing casings about 12-14" chubs.

Hang bout 1 hour to dry up the casings some.

Hang at 1 hour or so at 130* (no smoke, no water)

My PID setting are 130 thru 170

First round of smoke at 140* with hot water in pan.

watchdog56

Nepas, have you had any trouble with your gasket blowing out? I replaced my gasket and it still does it. The blowout valve is free to slide up and down. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Maybe I am cranking to fast and it does not come out fast enough to release any air, not sure.

pjplovedog

Boy those look great.  Thanks for the recipe, too. 
I need to get some made before the Superbowl, to go with my batches of smoked cheese that should be ready by then. 
PJP

Tenpoint5

Quote from: watchdog56 on January 15, 2014, 08:19:24 AM
Nepas, have you had any trouble with your gasket blowing out? I replaced my gasket and it still does it. The blowout valve is free to slide up and down. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Maybe I am cranking to fast and it does not come out fast enough to release any air, not sure.

Try flipping your gasket over. It may have a worn spot on it
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: watchdog56 on January 15, 2014, 08:19:24 AM

Never had any issues with the LEM gasket. When done stuffing and cleaning i put a thin coat of crisco on the gasket and into a zip lock. I never store the gasket on the piston and back in the canister, it makes a flat spot on the gasket.

When i had a weston it had a channel gasket that always broke. I have since dumped the POJ. IMHO you just cant beat a solid O ring gasket.

BAM1

Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Smoker John

Looking good, thanks for sharing.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

watchdog56

I use a silicone spray on mine but I do leave it on the plunger. I will take it off. When I put  a new gasket on the first time I had a blow out doing sticks so not sure if it had a flat spot already?

NePaSmoKer

It's bloom time (fancy word for cool)

STLstyle

Just really good as usual Nepas!

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Saber 4

You really know how to make a guy hungry Rick!!!! :)

NePaSmoKer

Thanks everyone

Have a get together tonight being put on from the park rangers for all the volunteers.

Cut up one the SS chubs for a tray.

These are the best SS casings i have used.  Easy peel

Ready for some cheese too.

Hope they like.