Hellava time cooking ribs...

Started by BigRich, January 14, 2014, 04:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRich

Quote from: Pachanga on January 19, 2014, 05:04:17 PM
Temperatures fluctuate in the Bradley depending on the placement of the gauge or probe.  I always place a chamber probe on the lowest rack that holds meat near the front door.  A rear reading is normally much hotter unless you deflect the heat toward the middle.  The built in gauge will pick up hotter heat at the back without a heat deflector.

I agree that is a long time on ribs.  7 hours is on the outside at 220 - 230, but as you stated, you have a thicker cut in your possession.  They will be ready when they are ready.  They should still be moist with the slather and water pan.

Pachanga

Right.  I've noticed about a 20 degree difference.  So with the DBS probe on the back, and element not turning on until the temp falls to 200, I wondered if I should look into a way to get that element to turn on sooner. 

Then I though, naw, that's just the OCD talking.

BigRich

After much trial and error, cooking them without foil is the way we like round here.  Finishing them with sauce took first place but without sauce at all was a close second.  I'll be cocking them with sauce, no foil, Iceman's rub, 2 steaming pans of water, with the vent half open, for somewhere between 5-6 hrs on Super Bowl Sumday, 

Pachanga

Experiment, mess up, change it up, try again, make it your own; that is what is all about.

When you and the kin like it, that is when it is perfectly right.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga