Bookmarks 2 Bookmarks

Author Topic: Hellava time cooking ribs...  (Read 7463 times)

Offline BigRich

Re: Hellava time cooking ribs...
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 05:24:56 pm »

Temperatures fluctuate in the Bradley depending on the placement of the gauge or probe.  I always place a chamber probe on the lowest rack that holds meat near the front door.  A rear reading is normally much hotter unless you deflect the heat toward the middle.  The built in gauge will pick up hotter heat at the back without a heat deflector.

I agree that is a long time on ribs.  7 hours is on the outside at 220 - 230, but as you stated, you have a thicker cut in your possession.  They will be ready when they are ready.  They should still be moist with the slather and water pan.

Pachanga

Right.  I've noticed about a 20 degree difference.  So with the DBS probe on the back, and element not turning on until the temp falls to 200, I wondered if I should look into a way to get that element to turn on sooner. 

Then I though, naw, that's just the OCD talking.

Offline BigRich

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 06:06:57 pm »
After much trial and error, cooking them without foil is the way we like round here.  Finishing them with sauce took first place but without sauce at all was a close second.  I'll be cocking them with sauce, no foil, Iceman's rub, 2 steaming pans of water, with the vent half open, for somewhere between 5-6 hrs on Super Bowl Sumday, 

Offline Pachanga

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 06:45:14 pm »
Experiment, mess up, change it up, try again, make it your own; that is what is all about.

When you and the kin like it, that is when it is perfectly right.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga