Hellava time cooking ribs...

Started by BigRich, January 14, 2014, 04:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRich

I like the ribs to be tear off the bone.  I'll take them out if the fridge for an hour, smoke them for three hours at 220, then boat them with AJ meat side down for 2 hours, then sauce them for 1 hour, lastly FTC for 2-3 hrs.

Here's a link to one of my old posts where they came out overdone. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=32118

Here they are.  On the right is Jan's and on the left is Iceman's.

They're wrapped in cellophane and in the fridge over night.

BigRich

Into the smoker for three hours at 220.  Current temp after being loaded is 189 on the Bradley sensor and 171 on the remote sensor in the middle of the cabinet.  It was 230 before I opened the door.

BigRich

And now they're boated.  Do you guys think I should have a look at them in 1 hr instead of waiting for the 2 hr mark?  If so, what am I looking for?

BigRich

Here they are after 1.5 hrs in foil.  They were already pretty soft and could be pulled apart.  I sauced them and put them back on the rack.  My temp dropped to 192.

BigRich

I forgot to take a picture when I took them out.  They looked good.  The meat had pulled back just a little, maybe 1/2".

I put the tray back in the smoker empty after the foil part.  Now, they're back in the tray with the same juices ftc-ing.

I think the 2 hours in foil is what the issue is.  They just cook so fast in there.

BigRich

So this is 3-1.5.1 with 2 hrs FTC.  They were the best I've made in the recent past.  They we're tear off the bone.  They could have been moister.  I was short on aj.  I only added maybe half a cup.  Interestingly, there also was not a large difference between the rubs. 

I'll be making these 1 more time before Super Bowl sunday.  Any suggestions ?

KyNola

BigRich

I'll be trying Pachanga's 600 method today except I'll be smoking with mesquite instead of apple.  I split the rack and rubbed one side with Jan's and other with Iceman's to see if I could tell the difference again since I couldn't last time.

BigRich

Quote from: TedEbear on January 15, 2014, 04:38:16 AM
Foiling with apple juice or some other liquid is also called the Texas Crutch.  You'll find that this method is used in BBQ smoking competitions by the experts.  There must be something to it.

Anyway, try rotating the racks at least once during the smoking session to even out the doneness.

I'm a little confused by your post.  You like the crutch but you linked a site that's pretty firmly against it when cooking at home.

TedEbear

Quote from: BigRich on January 19, 2014, 07:06:16 AM
I'm a little confused by your post.  You like the crutch but you linked a site that's pretty firmly against it when cooking at home.

Just giving everyone the option.  Some people shoot for perfection, others are just okay with mediocre.

BigRich

The thicker part of the rack is still not finished.  The meat has only slightly pulled back from the bone.  My temp never dropped below 200 and was fairly steady at 220.  I believe I they've been in for about 6:45.  These ribs are the real meaty ones you can buy from restaurant depot.  I think they said "3.5 and up" on them.   How long should I let them go for?  I don't want them to be dry.  I have a big water pan that I put in after 3 hrs of smoke.

Saber 4

Be patient Grasshopper and use the tong bend test and skewer between bones test and remember that each pig cooks differently. :)

BigRich

Damn.  They're finally starting to give it up and get pliable.  I've never heard of ribs taking 7:30-8:00 to cook.  I started around 11.  It's now dark out.  Never would've thought it...

Pachanga

Temperatures fluctuate in the Bradley depending on the placement of the gauge or probe.  I always place a chamber probe on the lowest rack that holds meat near the front door.  A rear reading is normally much hotter unless you deflect the heat toward the middle.  The built in gauge will pick up hotter heat at the back without a heat deflector.

I agree that is a long time on ribs.  7 hours is on the outside at 220 - 230, but as you stated, you have a thicker cut in your possession.  They will be ready when they are ready.  They should still be moist with the slather and water pan.

Pachanga

BigRich

These were the best ribs to date.  The wife and I both liked the bark better than when they were boated.  We could also taste a distinct difference in the rubs.  Originally we both favored Iceman's.  But after I told her which one was Jan's she changed her mind (I think she has a hard on for Jan). 

The ribs were moderately moist.  Next time I'll use a full water pan the entire smoke and close the vent some.  Other suggestions are appreciated.

The bark was dark which I like but I would like to have it a little stiffer.  Not sure if we can do anything about that or not.

I don't know what to call it but it wasn't tear off the bone or fall off the bone.  The meat was hard enough to hold together when you tried to break the two bones apart but soft enough where the bone cleanly separated from the meat.  The meat didn't break apart easily either.  I guess maybe it was fall of the bone then but I wouldn't want the meat any tuffer.