question about the "new" original smoker

Started by weazel, January 14, 2014, 05:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weazel

I've had the bradley smoker (BTIS) for about 10 years and with the wear and tear on it and the element not able to get over 160 anymore I am getting a new one.  I received the digital for Christmas but took it back and just want the original, but I notice I can't get the same one I had anymore and they only sell the "New Original Smoker BS611"

Why did they discontinue the old one and bring out this new one and what are the advantages/disadvantages to it?  I don't like the that the heat knob is now on the smoke generator, why was this changed?

thanks in advance.

KyNola

The new model has all of the upgrades that folks that owned the original model complained about.  The reason for moving the heat controller to the generator is to eliminate the complaint of moisture leaking out of the tower and running into the slot that the heat slider was in, thereby frying the heat controller.

weazel

thanks for the reply, KyNola

Can you explain to me what "all the upgrades that folks complained about" are?  I just want to know the advantage/disadvantage of this new unit.  I can still get the old version but it is much more money so I want to know if it is worth buying the one I know.

The only major complaint I seen was the heating element is too small, and that has not changed

KyNola

Sure, the interior is now stainless steel. There are rack supports both top and bottom to keep the racks from potentialy flipping as you remove the racks. The faceplate has been improved and the front feet have been enlarged and repositioned to alleviate the problem of the faceplate cracking and to keep moisture from leaking out from under the door if too much condensation accumulates in the tower.  These are all in addition to the heat controller being moved to the smoke generator that I mentioned earlier.

weazel

awesome information, thanks KyNola!  You sold me, tell Bradley you expect a commission check!

chabrown

I will probably get the new 6-rack digital smoker. However, I wish they would have put a more powerful heating element into it. That was a big complaint with the earlier models. I know it has sometimes taken up to 90 minutes to get up to temperature with a full load.

BBNRules

All of the replacement elements I've seen are 500W direct from Bradley.  Where have the 900W come from that I've read people have put on here?

TedEbear

Quote from: BBNRules on January 16, 2014, 04:18:09 AM
All of the replacement elements I've seen are 500W direct from Bradley.  Where have the 900W come from that I've read people have put on here?

I think Grainger Supply has the 900W finned element.  There are several versions, depending on if you want the wires on the same end or one on each end.

tailfeathers

I got mine online through Zoro tools. It was @ 15.00 cheaper than Grainger. It is made by Tempco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

drano

I've got the 900 watt finned, from Zoro also. 
Here's a thread that contains links to other threads, and Zoro's web site for the element.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=32174.msg378006#msg378006

And search 900 watt and you'll get lots more hits.
Good luck.