Slicer

Started by winemakers, June 21, 2006, 12:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winemakers

I would like to take a poll or solicit some feedback regarding slicers.

It's about time to add one to the arsenal and I am hoping to get some advice on brand, size, style, etc.  Owstrich seems to have a funky looking Bosch gizmo that peeks my curiosity.  Obviously, the $2k top end restaurant beast would be best, but I have to store it, move it, and at that price hide it from my wife.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Oldman

Check out your used restaurant supply houses. If you can you will be better off with a 12" rather than a 10" slicer.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Arcs_n_Sparks

winemakers,

I have one similar to owrstrich, but made by Krups. Very nice. Mostly plastic and easily disassembled, so moving it around and clean up are very easy. Gives me paper thin pastrami and is idiot proof, even after a few drinks.

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

wine...

right now at smart & final they have a little stainless counter top slicer for $99...

my slicer was $40 + shipping... it folds up...

http://www.electronicsbonanza.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5028&sku=7233&src=p

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

asa

Looks like a dandy product, owrstrich, at a good price, especially if you say it works well. I couldn't find any specs on it at the Bosch site. How big is the blade? And do you have any reservations about it?
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

manxman

I am particularly interested in a slicer that will slice my home made bacon, many of the home slicers do not appear to be up to the job? Any thoughts anyone?
Manxman

winemakers

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on June 21, 2006, 06:22:48 PM
winemakers,

I have one similar to owrstrich, but made by Krups. Very nice. Mostly plastic and easily disassembled, so moving it around and clean up are very easy. Gives me paper thin pastrami and is idiot proof, even after a few drinks.

Arcs_n_Sparks

A much maligned and often ignored requirement  (the ability to operate it following lubrication)!

whitetailfan

We have a Rival.  I can't find a link on their website to show you :-\  Maybe mine is discontinued, but it is awesome.  Easy clean up and does a great job.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

I have Deni, So far it has sliced anything I put on it. Does a good job, very happy with it.I think it was $100. Here is the web site.

http://www.deni.com/foodslicer_14300.asp
Jack

winemakers

Looks like i've got plenty to research.  thanks all.

mld

whitetailfan

One more quick thought - or more ;).  Don't care what brand you get, but check for ease of break down for cleaning.  Should disassemble with ease and be easy to wash.  And most important, check on the slicers size capacity ie thickness settings.

Never gave it thought before, but you want to be able to slice thin meat (no brainer) but make sure it can adjust out far enough.  Mine is rated at 3/4 inch on the box.  It can actually slice close to a full inch.  This is important in our household because we routinely make smoked pork chops by curing and smoking a whole pork loin.  We then use the slicer to make uniform chops.  Turns out perfect size for grilling after.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

winemakers

One last though, echo'd by many.  Size matters.  It seems there are a plethora of 7"ers available for <$100, some as low as $40.  I don't mind parting with the cash (cough) for a larger version if it necessary or I will get frustrated and chuck the smaller one soon.

Whats the consenus?  7" big enough (oh I've got a bad feeling someone's gonna smack me around some :D for this one)

Mark

asa

Quote from: whitetailfan on June 22, 2006, 08:21:29 AM
We have a Rival.  I can't find a link on their website to show you :-\  Maybe mine is discontinued, but it is awesome.  Easy clean up and does a great job.
Sir Whitetail:
I thought I'd asked this an hour ago, but can't find my response on the forum now so I'll ask it again. Is yours the 1042-WP as shown at http://www.rivalproducts.com/estore/product.aspx?CatalogId=5&CategoryId=1164&ProductId=16   ?  I like the fold-up aspect as storage space is an issue. I assume from what you said it is easy to take apart and clean. I also assume it has a 7" blade - is that correct. Does that seem adequate for most slicing you do (he said, cleverly avoiding winemakers' pitfall)?  (By the way, Mark, when you say something like that look out for Kirk in your rearview mirror.)

Regards to all,
     Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Bassman

Winemakers,
7" has worked fine for me. I can't think of an occasion when I wished it was bigger :o
Jack

Oldman

The reason I suggest a larger slicer is there maybe items you wish to slice such as a whole sirloin, or large rib eye.  Plus the larger slicers have sharping tool/ stones on them.

No one could slice this baby with a 10" blade  without taking a real chance with their fingers:

Just a thought.  ;)

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!