1st time cheese - mistakes????

Started by boomer2, January 16, 2014, 03:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomer2

Hi to all,
It is just below the freezing mark here in Sask, Canada today so on the spur of the moment I decided to smoke cheese. Used just the puck heater and according to the thermometer on my 4 rack digital bradley it stayed around 58F. I had an appointment so after approx 2 hours of smoke using the 'special blend' I took out the cheese. I was in a hurry so I quickly wrapped the cheese in at least 2 pieces of saran wrap type stuff. I did not wipe cheese off before hand, nor did I give it time to sit for an hour or so. Did I do wrong? After I smoked the cheese I started to read the forum! Should I take the cheese out of fridge (been there 5.5 hours already) and wipe off, let sit and then rewrap? Or just leave well enough alone and remember the next time. I was a bit disappointed with the color of cheese as I thought it should be darker or smoked longer...but opening the fridge tells me something definitely got smoked haha. All comments appreciated. Thanks.  Barry

RedJada

I'm definitely no expert but I always rest, wipe, wrap my smoked cheese. But since you already have it wrapped and in the fridge, just let it go for a few weeks and see. That's what I would do. Sorry, not much help.

devo

Well the reason you leave it on the counter is cheese will sweat. I would take it out and give it some time on the counter, even leave it over night. In the morning vac pack it if you have one. If not rewrap in plastic wrap and than tin foil. You need a temp between 85-95 degrees for it to take on color. It really does nothing to the taste but looks kinda cool.

boomer2

Tnx for the replys. Have taken cheese out of fridge, unwrapped and set on counter. Of course, my wife had to come home about then and complain about the smell! I told her to wait a month first before complaining. Love the smoke smell in house haha.

TedEbear

Quote from: boomer2 on January 16, 2014, 04:09:14 PMOf course, my wife had to come home about then and complain about the smell! I told her to wait a month first before complaining. Love the smoke smell in house haha.

I recently did my first cold smoke with cheese right before Christmas.  I wrapped everything pretty well, or so I thought, in Saran Wrap and put it in the fridge for its one-month hibernation.  My wife complained the next day about the strong smoke smell the refrigerator.  I went to Sears, bought a vacuum sealer, vacuum packed the cheese and no more smoke smell.

We cut some of it open after a month and it's the best cheese we've ever tasted.   :)

Roget

I leave mine out a couple of hours to sweat, then plastic wrap it, then vacuum seal it & into the fridge.
After two months it is a little moist inside the plastic wrap, but not wet, and tastes good.
After four months it is dry when unwrapped, and tastes great.

I really don't know if it would be better to let it dry longer before wrapping or if maybe the moisture helps the flavor.
Someone who has been doing cheese longer than me probably would be more qualified to speak to that.
YCDBSOYA

RedJada

I always let rest for an hour or so and wipe. I vacuum pack but don't wrap first. Just right into the bag and vac pac. 6 weeks or so, good to go.

Dave Smith

I have some Brie and chedder that was cold smoked in november, which is still great.
I am what I am.

pokermeister

I have never wiped my cheese, but I just let it sit uncovered in fridge for 6-8 hours, then vac-seal. My 2 cents.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

tskeeter

I'm with pokermeister, let the cheese cool to room temp.  Then vacuum seal, no wiping.  Have never run into a problem with short shelf life.

Indy Smoker

I also take out and sit before wrapping for a 2 week rest period. I purchased so a cheese wax and dip each side twice. It keeps very nice at room temp and makes for an excellent presentation. I have given away cheddar and Swiss the last 2 Christmas' as gifts - always a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk