New to Bradley, first impression of the digital and a question.

Started by heinz, June 21, 2006, 02:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Quote Eat a brisket after 9 hrs - chewy!

If I may suggest, when you change out your water bowl at the 4 hour mark why not just reset the smoker. I think the longest I've ever had to do a brisket was 12 hours or about...

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

retired george

Thanks for the welcome Jaeger. This sure is a swell place. You guys should be proud of the way you help each other out. As we get older and start to slow down we realize just how great it is to have friends. So high fives to all you guys. Take a moment today, call an old friend you haven't chatted with in a while, you will both feel better for it.  retired george
I just wanted to say thanks to my son who lets me use his computer when I visit so I and get all these wonderful smoker recipes.

heinz

Maybe the folks at Bradley don't like Brisket and forgot about us brisket smokers, hence the short timer limit :-)

My strategy for the next brisket smoke is to start it at 11/midnight-ish and then re-set in the morning.

Heinz

Rats, I just realized that my proposed schedule won't work as the water needs changing at 4 hrs or so. Does one move the schedule up so that water-change is at midnight or does one get up just after one falls asleep? Oh the perils of a brisket smoker wannabee. What do others do?

owrstrich

i replaced my bradley water bowl with one of these so i would not have to change the water as often... i let it go 6 or 8 or 10 hours before throwing out the spent pucks and there has always been water left in the pan...

if you were doing a long smoke you could use on of these and throw out the spent pucks and refresh the water anytime before you timed out then you could reset and have another full 10 hours of timer...

i did 2 7lb flats last week... it took 18 hours total... but i started with a cold smoker... and smoked at 200 box for 1st 10 hours then 210 for last 8 hours... 210 all the way would have sped things up a bit... and a preheated box would have sped things up a bit too...

i would try the disposable roaster pan for a water pan...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

heinz

Thanks for the roaster pan suggestion. Definately worth a try.

On your 18 hour smoke, how long with actual smoker going? I.e. how long with heat only?

Heinz

owrstrich

the 1st 4 hours was smoke genarator puck burner on with 12 oak pucks and 3 bubba pucks for 4 hours of smoke + box heating element cycling at 200 deg average...

when oak pucks were gone i left the puck burner on and the box heating element kept cycling at 200 deg average...

i use 4 hours of smoke for general smoking... will use as much as 5 hours of smoke if i gotts all 4 shelves at maximum loading...

now i gotts to say i think it took 18 hours cause no preheat and the briskets were select... i think it would have been more like 16 hours with preheat and choice briskets... and even less if i woild have maxed at  210 deg the whole way...

200 minimum and 210 maximum for me for briskets and butts... low and slow...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

also... what i mean by 200 average... the includes differential of overshoot and recovery... at 202 set i will get 204 on overshoot and 196 before recovery... 202 is 8 degree differential with 200 average... that dances around some as the beast getts up to temperature... im using the origional bs with a digitemp switch...
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Oldman

retired george

While not all of our recipes are in the current download of the recipe site...many of them are. If you have not down loaded them then here is the link: Recipes From The Bradley Smoker Forums.

All directions are with that link.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!