Pork butt finished early

Started by amatasjr, January 19, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amatasjr

I started an 8lb butt last night at about 10pm, 4hrs of smoke, cabinet temp at 215. It's is now 0553 on the west coast and IT temp is at 197. I plan on FTCing for a few hours when the IT hits 200. My problem is we don't serve chow around here to 1800(6pm). Can I FTC for 3-4 hours then crock pot it till chow? Or should I refrigerate after FTC, then crock pot it an hour or two before serving it? Also, should I shred it before the crock pot or should shredding be done right before serving? Thanks fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyNola

If I read correctly the 8 lb butt cooking at 215F reached an IT of 197F in approximately 8 hours.  That seems a little quick to me.  What are you checking the IT with?  I would urge you to check it in several places on the butt as your probe may be in a fat pocket resulting in a high false reading.

When it is finished, I would FTC it for 4 hours, shred it as soon as you remove it from the FTC and place in the crockpot on warm or low setting until service.  You can add a little apple juice or even water so the meat will retain moistness while in slow cooker.

ragweed

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd make sure the IT is correct before I did anything.  Is the butt really done.  7 hrs seems really quick.  Maybe "stick a fork in it"  or check the IT in different locations just to be sure.  If it's done done, I'd probably pull it then keep it warm in a crockpot 'til supper time.  But that's just me.

BBNRules

Good advice, listen to these guys, they know their stuff.  One quote that rang true with me was "In the end, the pig is in control."  So true.  195 in one boston butt may not even be tender, in another one it's fall off the bone tender.  The fork test (one that I didn't do the first time) paid huge dividends in the other one I did.  The internal temp said 195 in multiple locations and the fork test didn't pass, so back in the smoker it went.  The internal temp was 205 and the fork test finally said it was done.  Like these guys said, use the temp as a guide when to do the fork test.  195 is a start, but it may not be the finish.

amatasjr

Thanks fellas!  Forgot to mention its a boneless butt and that I'm using a probe from an auber PID. Stuck it in a few different spots and found that my lowest temp was 197 and my highest registered 204. I ended up FTCing at about 0730. Thanks for the advice and enjoy championship Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pachanga

That is a fast butt.  Everyone has certainly given sound advice.  But it sounds like you covered the bases.  You have to make the call as the onsite BBQ Guru.

Pachanga