First Cheese smoke done.

Started by Beekeeper, January 19, 2014, 08:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beekeeper

I just pulled the 3 racks of cheese after a 2 hour run in the Bradley.  I used Apple and my cold smoker attachment, and tried out my bubba pucks for the first time.  It is cool here this morning, but I used the Igrill probe to monitor the box temps, just for grins.  Box temp stayed around 43-45 degrees the entire time, so no worries there.  The apple smoke smelled amazing, and my homemade bubba pucks worked great.  I know you all like pictures..........so here ya go!

Top rack - Asiago, Provolone and Swiss

Second rack - Mozzarella and Sharp Cheddar

Bottom Rack - Colby Jack and Sharp Light Cheddar

Loaded and ready for smoke!

A shot of my bubba pucks, cut from 1/2" thick aluminum on a water jet, and bead blasted to smooth the edges

A shot of the result after 2 hours of Apple smoke.  (Camera doesn't capture the subtle color change, but it the racks are resting on the counter, and you can sure smell the smoke!

All in all, I think the cheese turned out well, and I am resisting the urge to sample it.  We will let it rest for about an hour, then vacuum pack it, date it, and wait a month or 6 weeks to try it out.  It's a good thing my wife doesn't mind the smoke smell in the house!  Thanks again for the pointers, and those that have posted their processes and results previously.  It sure helps us newbies!  Have a great Sunday everyone!

RedJada

Looking good Beekeeper. You will get more color after it rests a bit. Since this is your first time, you should just sneak a taste now. ;D. 4-6 weeks is good. Anything more than 6 weeks then it just gets better. Great job.

Beekeeper

Quote from: RedJada on January 19, 2014, 09:55:13 AM
Looking good Beekeeper. You will get more color after it rests a bit. Since this is your first time, you should just sneak a taste now. ;D. 4-6 weeks is good. Anything more than 6 weeks then it just gets better. Great job.

Thanks!  I did sneak a wee bit of a taste from the Mozzarella.............and you folks is dead right...........it tastes just like an ashtray!   :o

It's all vacuum packed and tucked into the fridge.  I'm going to forget about it until March 1st.  Meanwhile...........I'll try to get that fresh smoked cheese taste out of my mouth!    ;D

ragweed

Great looking cheese, great looking bubba pucks too.  Don't know about the other kinds of cheese, but my swiss singles were ready after four weeks.  Just sayin'.

Saber 4

Looks like your cheese did good and your bubba pucks are nice. Most places put a best by date on their products, I put a don't open until date when I package my cheese so I don't open early.

zueth

I find that the cheese takes on the smoke better when cut into small chunks(think 8 chunks from each brick) and temp is between 70-90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoxcarBetts

Congrats on your first cheese smoke! I just tasted my first batch of Monterey Jack yesterday after 3 weeks resting and needless to say, it's almost gone. I'm still waiting another week for the white cheddar - that's the one I'm really excited about!

What are the bubba pucks all about?
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

TedEbear

Quote from: BoxcarBetts on January 21, 2014, 10:21:57 PM
What are the bubba pucks all about?

When you load three of them on top of your stack of bisquettes they will push the last bisquette into the water bowl after the smoking session is finished.  It saves having to use actual bisquettes.  You can buy premade puck savers (click on the link) for around $21 or make them yourself for free if you can find some scrap pipe of the right diameter.

BoxcarBetts

Good call. That's a great idea. I always end up getting that puck next to the element singed, but then I use it to preheat on the next smoke.

tskeeter

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 19, 2014, 01:51:25 PM
Looks like your cheese did good and your bubba pucks are nice. Most places put a best by date on their products, I put a don't open until date when I package my cheese so I don't open early.

Hmmmm - would that be a "best after" date, then?

Saber 4

Quote from: tskeeter on January 22, 2014, 02:36:53 PM
Quote from: Saber 4 on January 19, 2014, 01:51:25 PM

Hmmmm - would that be a "best after" date, then?

Yuuupp!!!! :D

Beekeeper

I dated the packages March 1st 2014, just to make sure we don't open the cheese until it's ready.  We own an RV, and we will most likely enjoy the majority of the cheese on our camping trips.

I plan to smoke a few more batches of cheese, so I have a supply to get me through the months when the temps are too warm for cold smoking some cheeses. 

BoxcarBetts

Quote from: Beekeeper on January 22, 2014, 06:49:50 PM

I plan to smoke a few more batches of cheese, so I have a supply to get me through the months when the temps are too warm for cold smoking some cheeses.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've read about guys putting in some ice or freezer packs to keep the temp down while cold smoking. If it works and keeps you smoking cheese through the summer, why not!

ragweed

I've smoked cheese in the summer, but it can be a struggle.  I try to do it real early in the day, use polar packs, ice cubes in the drip pan, even "fan" the door to reduce the heat.  I haven't lost a battle yet, but it's been close a few times.  That's why this time of year is when I try to stock up.  Heck, I even had to turn on the heating element the other day so I could reach my target temp of 80* F!!

Beekeeper

I monitored the box temp when I smoked this batch of cheese, and it stayed right around 50 degrees.  I used my cold smoke attachment.  Should I have tried to get my box temp up around 80 degrees?

I guess my question is, does it make a difference in the outcome if you have the box temp warmer than the 50 degrees I attained during the 2 hours of cold smoking?