Select Briskets

Started by BBNRules, January 22, 2014, 10:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBNRules

I know now, based on the opinions of my new BBQ guru's, never to buy select meat to cook.  I do have a question for anyone that has used one.  I'm on record that Burnt Ends are my new favorite food.  The point is so fatty that regardless of whether it's select, choice, or prime, won't it get tender and taste delicious if you smoke it until it's the proper temperature, and then put in for another 3 to 5 hours and continue to render the meat of its fat until it's Burnt Ends?  It's a total cost issue for me.  If I can buy select and get the same Burnt End then I want to do that instead of paying out the nose for prime (Can't find choice anywhere near where I live, and when I have it's the same as prime).  Interested in your experiences with Select.

Habanero Smoker

In my area, the only whole briskets I can get are from Wal-Mart, and they have all been select. Sometimes you can get a select that is as good as choice, but it is hard to determine the marbling through the cryovac. If you are just interested in the point, select should work fine, but I find that section of select is more fatty than choice. It's the flat that tends to come out very dry, but you can always sauce it up. My favorite sauce is an onion based sauce.

Onion Sauce for Brisket

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BBNRules

Thanks Habenero, I'm finding the same thing regarding whole briskets.  A local butcher has prime but that's twice what select is.  I'll give it a try next time and see how select works out.  Any meat cooked for that long should come out tender. 

tailfeathers

Wow I guess I didn't realize how lucky I am here. Just bought a prime grade packer at Costco Saturday @ 2.79 per pound. Thinking now maybe I should have gotten both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

zueth

My costco only sells the flat, no packers

pondee

Quote from: zueth on January 30, 2014, 02:47:53 PM
My costco only sells the flat, no packers

And at mine they are only 4-5# and close to $6 per #

tailfeathers

Give me a call when you can

tailfeathers

Oops disregard please. I'll explain latwr

tailfeathers

Sorry about that. Slipped on the ice today and broke my left knee cap. Now I know why the bad guys break knee caps for bad debts, etc . I thought I was texting my son. That oxy is some powerful stuff!!

TNRockyraccoon

Quote from: tailfeathers on January 30, 2014, 04:55:56 PM
Sorry about that. Slipped on the ice today and broke my left knee cap. Now I know why the bad guys break knee caps for bad debts, etc . I thought I was texting my son. That oxy is some powerful stuff!!

Sorry to hear that man.

pondee

Quote from: tailfeathers on January 30, 2014, 04:55:56 PM

Get well soon.  Hurts like Hell, don't it.

BBNRules

Went to WalMart yesterday.  There was one brisket left and I picked it up just to see what it was.  When I picked it up it immediately "folded" over.  Usually the ones I get there are like a two by four, they just don't give.  So upon further inspection, it was choice!  $2.38 a lb, so for the Super Bowl I have a 15 lb whole brisket to cook.  Starting Sat afternoon so it will be done by game time.  A 10 lb pork butt will also share the cabinet. 

tailfeathers

Congrats on the find! Looks like I won't be playing with my smoker for a spell.

KyNola

BBN, I'll be interested to hear your take on the difference of a select vs choice when it is cooked and sliced.  That's a good price too or at least it is in my area.

Ka Honu

Quote from: tailfeathers on January 23, 2014, 06:12:27 AM... a prime grade packer at Costco Saturday @ 2.79 per pound. Thinking now maybe I should have gotten both?

Prime for $2.79? You should have bought out the store. I get a pretty good deal and usually pay about $2.35 for Choice at the commissary. Outside (except for Costco) is usually much higher and our Costco runs about the price you paid but for Choice rather than Prime.