getting excited!

Started by dave97402, January 22, 2014, 01:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave97402

So I have been reading here for a long time now. Been using the Bradley with great success so far. Upgraded the element to 900W...

So this week I have received a Auber PID, relay, thermocouple etc, Vacuum sealer, grinder along with other misc. items!

Going to do some installing this weekend and sausage making. I am very excited about that. Will probably just plan on the sausage being fresh. Not planning on smoking this batch just so I don't feel pressured to get the PID stuff installed, working and programmed in a hurry.

But as I said....very excited about venturing into sausage!! I will try to get some pictures along the way and update with them.

As I have said before....thank you to all who post the information here on the web that makes this seems easy!

hutcho

Sounds like you got a busy/fun weekend coming up! Don't forget the pics...8)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

dave97402

I will try!

Moderator...I posted in "smoke generator" by accident......thought I was in original black smoker category....you can move if  you so desire!

dave97402

Well I didn't get the Auber installed, but I did make sausage! Came out pretty good for a first time, though I read here numerous times, don't even try to stuff sausage with a grinder.....haha, oh, now I agree. It took much longer but we got it done.

Here are some pictures:

Bangers

Keilbasa

Smokin'

dave97402

Oh yeah, I got to use my new Maverick for the first time too....was awesome to be able to keep track of cooking temp and food temp so easily. While I do have the 900W element with the original slider for now, it will be nice to get the Auber installed. The slider control is a little difficult to get set where you want it. haha

Pic-N-Stick

Looks good!  Love the shower curtain hangers! 8)

dave97402

Yeah, wife said will these work. Heck yes they will!!

Saber 4

Great looking sausage, welcome to the Dark Side. You'll love it if you get a good stuffer to go with your "tool" collection, once the wife tastes how good the sausage is you shouldn't have any issues getting the ok for the stuffer. The curtain hooks are a great idea.

ragweed

X2.  You're hooked now. :) :)

dave97402

well that seemed to go way to easy...but must have done it right cause it's working!

STLstyle

Very nice work Dave!  I bought a foot controlled pedal for my grinder to stuff with.  It made it easier, but then  I bought a hand crank after that.  Better for natural casings IMO.  Good job on the PID install!

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

TedEbear

Looks good.  Now crank up that SV to whatever temp you usually smoke at, put something in the chamber to simulate a load of meat and run the autotune.   ;)

dave97402

Yeah it was dark out back by the time I plugged it in, but I was able to grab the probe and get the temp to rise...very cool.

I will start playing with the programming and setting up this afternoon

TNRockyraccoon

Nice work! I love all of the Smoke Generator PIDs. They look so neat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dave97402

Well I have now done my second set of large boneless pork butts. I have learned a couple things. First is that when the ambient temp outside is above freezing, it works much better! haha

I did 2 more butts for the church bbq, they came out fantastic. I put them in a 2pm on Saturday, 5  hours of smoke, then changed out the water and let them cook. Auber set to 220. At about 6am I took them out, internal temp was reading about 167. I wrapped them up in tin foil and put them in the oven for another hour just to be sure they would be easy to pull/shred later that morning. Then I, for the first time, did the FTC. I have been reading about you guys doing this and thought....that can't be that big of a difference. Holy crap! I put them in the cooler about 7am. Pulled them out in the church kitchen to shred, they were just too hot to handle! I was amazed. I went to slice them up then shred....I didn't have to move the knife back and forth....it just kinda fell through the meat. Awesome...tender juicy absolutely delicious. Everyone loved it.

Also having that maverick with the remote is pretty sweet. Went to bed with that on the night stand. I would wake up and then lay there thinking out what is going on it that smoker....oh yeah....quick glance and back to sleep...