Heat Diffuser placement and normal time to reach max temp

Started by jgolfnguy8, February 11, 2014, 03:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgolfnguy8

My smoker temp wouldn't raise to over about 150 degrees.  I figured it was the heating element and ordered a new one.  I've deep cleaned my cabinet and installed the new element.  It wouldn't raise over about 150 degrees on the first try.  After reading some blogs (great info BTW),  I double checked my plug seatings.  I finally heard that "Click".  Now I can get up to temp, but I feel it takes too long.  What would be considered a normal time to reach 320 degrees (max temp on my digital smoker) with the top restrictor thingy wide open?  And...  what direction should the heat diffuser be facing?  Over the element to protect from drips? (like I have now), or under the element to help radiate heat up?

hutcho

I run vent wide open like a lot of others. If you close it off too much you will get moisture build up and have black rain on your food.

I think thw diffuser you speak of is the heat shield.  If its the one that bolts to the cermaic pieces the element goes between then it goes underneath to direct heat upwards.

Lastly I dont think your smoker will ever reach 320.  There is a high temp cutoff sensor in the cabinet and will shut it off if temps get too high, cant remember the temp but its well below 320.  Mine would take around 30minutes to an hour to heat to 225-250 before Installed my second element and it would lose around 20 degrees or more and have take quite a while to recover when I loaded with meat.  Having installed a second element and auber I can preheat in 30min or less and temps recover in like 5 min.

Well theres my .02 anyways.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

jgolfnguy8

Thanks for the help.  Much appreciated.  Then my "Heat Shield" is installed upside down.  I was able to get to 320 degrees with my new element!  I understand, I probably won't ever need that temp... was just curious.  I'll set it up for 250 and time it.  Thanks again.  This is a great site.

KyNola

What were you using to read temps in the tower that showed your unit getting to 320?

pensrock

QuoteWhat were you using to read temps in the tower that showed your unit getting to 320?
Good question.
Also a picture of what you are calling a heat shield would be good before you change anything. I have seen people put the V tray in upside down and call that the heat shield.

tskeeter

Jgolf, I think what you're referring to as a heat diffuser is commonly referred to here as a v-tray.  To me, it's primary function appears to be to collect dripping grease and direct the grease into the puck bowl/drippings bowl.  This keeps drippings and grease build up away from the heating element(s), where they could catch on fire.  (Correct positioning of the v-tray is oriented as a V (front to rear center line down), suspended from the pegs on the side walls, above the heating element.  I don't think that placement of the v-tray would have a significant impact on how quickly a Bradley will preheat.  I think that ambient temperature, wind, use of hot vs. cold water in the puck bowl, how far the vent is open etc. will have more impact on preheat time than where the v-tray is located.

Note that several forum members turn on the puck burner during their preheat, to add more heating capacity to the smoker.  And leave the puck burner on after their smoker cycle is complete.  In stock configuration, the puck burner adds about 25% to the heating capacity of your smoker.

TedEbear

I think he might be referring to the actual heat shield that is located below the heating element, since he stated that he replaced the element and that the chamber temp was greatly improved when he turned it around.  At any rate, here's a pic of mine with a second element and the correct orientation of the shield below the element.

Habanero Smoker

I also feel he is talking about the heat shield. When he installed it wrong after changing the element, that could very well be the cause of the longer heat up times, then he has experienced in the past.

Through my mistakes I have learned to take several pictures of what I'm about to disassemble prior to taking it apart. :) Then I can refer to those pictures when I go to reassemble.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

I just wanted to see a picture to make sure it is installed correctly now. And if it is wrong who who knows if something else may be as well. I'm like habs, if I have not had something apart before I take a picture so I can go back to get a look to make sure its right. Good habit to get into.

hutcho

Quote from: pensrock on February 13, 2014, 05:53:27 AM
I just wanted to see a picture to make sure it is installed correctly now. And if it is wrong who who knows if something else may be as well. I'm like habs, if I have not had something apart before I take a picture so I can go back to get a look to make sure its right. Good habit to get into.

Especially if you are like me and get distracted and don't get back to it for a few days/weeks/years....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2