Not Jerky but ....Biltong

Started by carnie1, January 23, 2014, 11:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnie1

Decided to do another batch of Biltong, the first batch I used a traditional recipe with ground toasted coriander and black pepper and used malt vinegar to dip, This recipe I'm  using a mix of toasted coriander , black pepper , little Cure#1, little bicarbonate of soda, brown sugar, and a little bit of Zatarain's big n zesty original, using Balsamic vinegar to dip this time

Don't know why images are so big, photobucket says they are 320x240, thought there was a small, medium and large button someplace, Never had them post so big

Cut meat a little thicker this time about 3/4'

Salted with coarse sea salt for 30 minutes then scraped off

Spice Mixture

Dipped and Dredged, going in fridge for a few hours before hanging to dry, Going to dry in Cabala's dehydrator

Stay tuned......

NePaSmoKer

pensrock

Nice Tony, bet thats gonna be good.  :)

STLstyle

First saw some biltong on duck dynasty.  Nice...

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

tailfeathers

Willie likes it, can't be bad!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

carnie1

We be hangin' out here for a few days !!

Saber 4

pikeman_95

Looks good Tony
What temp do you run the dehydrator? Do you ever give it a little smoke and then to the dehydrator? I am going to keep watching this one.
Kirby

carnie1

Quote from: pikeman_95 on January 23, 2014, 08:05:29 PM
Looks good Tony
What temp do you run the dehydrator? Do you ever give it a little smoke and then to the dehydrator? I am going to keep watching this one.
Kirby

I'm running temp at 50* but indicator is showing around 70* so I'm guessing that's around room temp, never tried smoke, here are a few recipes you can check outhttp://www.biltongbeli.com/biltong_recipes.htm

carnie1

pensrock

Wow those spices sure do stand out, looks good.  :)

Saber 4

That is really colorful, I bet it eats real good, I'm sure you could get plenty of volunteer tasters around here.....

carnie1

After 4 Days
One of the Thicker Pieces, not quite done yet

One of the thinner ones.................Gone

Photos are still huge after resizing, then get smaller after a day, never had a problem like this before, anybody got any ideas?, I'm uploading to the Photobucket mobile app , then using Photobucket on computer

pikeman_95

Tony
Try right clicking your pictures on your computer and choose Microsoft office to open them. The choose edit pictures and then go to compress picture on the right side and choose document. OK and then save. Now load them on to photo bucket. You should like the size better.

carnie1

Quote from: pikeman_95 on January 27, 2014, 06:13:57 PM
Tony
Try right clicking your pictures on your computer and choose Microsoft office to open them. The choose edit pictures and then go to compress picture on the right side and choose document. OK and then save. Now load them on to photo bucket. You should like the size better.
I'm loading right from the Photobucket mobile app, thought there was a way to specify what size your photo will be when uploading but Photobucket mobile has been upgraded a few times, that's probably my answer right there, never had a problem before upgrades