Not Jerky but ....Biltong

Started by carnie1, January 23, 2014, 11:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnie1

Now checking this post today, The photos are resized smaller the way they are supposed to be, Gremlins !!!

Mr Walleye

Looking good Tony!  8)

I've never made Biltong for some reason. I need to get back at it!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

carnie1

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 28, 2014, 06:06:40 AM
Looking good Tony!  8)

I've never made Biltong for some reason. I need to get back at it!  :D

Mike
It's really pretty simple
First time I did it was so salty Neither I or Casper could eat it, figured out don't soak in salt or vinegar a long time, this batch I only left salt on for about 40 minutes then scraped off and just a quick dip in vinegar before dredging

carnie1

Decided to pull today, these are a few of the thickest pieces , just chewy , some of the thinner ones are harder, total drying time was about 8 days
They are actually darker than the photos show

Final taste test, Casper approves !!

ragweed

Looks great!   Gonna try for sure.

carnie1

Being addicted to this biltong, I figured I better have a cutter before I cut my finger off, since shipping from South Africa is so high , I decided to make my own, even with minimal woodworking skills it turned out pretty good

Saber 4

The biltong looks tasty, I would say you have better than minimal woodworking skills, that's a really nice cutter. Casper reminds me of the Pom we had years ago named Squirt.

STLstyle

Nice lookin biltong and cutter! 

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

Nice job Tony on both the Biltong and the cutter. Casper sure looks happy.  :)

pikeman_95

Nice looking Biltong Tony. Which cure do you use in it. How old is your taste tester. He sure looks dedicated to the job.

carnie1

Quote from: pikeman_95 on March 20, 2014, 05:54:33 AM

Nice looking Biltong Tony. Which cure do you use in it. How old is your taste tester. He sure looks dedicated to the job.
Most recipes call for no cure but I put a wee bit of #1 in sure Casper is 13, will be 14 in September, he gets around pretty good for his age

NePaSmoKer

Tony makes good biltong. I have had it a few times...Yum

Nice cutter also, sure beats using a knife.

Tulla

Hi Guys saw this post and thought i would show you what i built as a biltong box. Never gave it a thought that i could have used my smoker. Anyway i made the box and the first batch of biltong was yummy.

Mr Walleye

Great job Tulla!

It almost looks like an antique wooden Bradley.  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes