Blu cheese

Started by RedJada, January 18, 2014, 11:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

I will be doing another batch of cheese tomorrow and was thinking about doing some Blu cheese. I love blu cheese. Anyone done this before? Just looking for do's or dont's compared the the harder cheeses.

Saber 4

I haven't done blu cheese but I did do a small block of Greek Feta on my last smoke, I put it on the top rack to keep it as cool as possible and after it blooms make sure it's good and cold in the fridge for a while before you try to vacuum seal it so it doesn't get all smooshed up.

RedJada

Thanks saber. Looking at 30* today so hopefully I ca keep the cabinet temps down.

carnie1

RedJada

Looks good carnie. I didn't get a chance to smoke last weekend so it's on the agenda for this weekend. How is the flavor on that? I want to use smoked blu in salads, steaks, burgers and what ever else I can think of.  ;D ;D ;D

sage03

Hi RedJada..I've smoked Blue cheese probably 6 times..3hrs with apple mixed with an hour of maple vac-packed and let sit for approx 3-4 months(not sure how I let it go that long...guess it was buried under the other pkgs) but it turned out awesome. Put some on salad, mixed some in a dressing for wings and even stuffed some in olives for a "smokey martini"..also stuffed into burger. I think you'll like it. I also noticed you had some Asiago in your smoke. I did a batch from Costco and this turned out wonderful. Good luck with yours,just let it sit for a while...it gets way better!   

RedJada

After shoveling 8" out of the 1"-3" of snow we were to get. I made it to the store and have a chunk of blu and a nice piece of parmesan cheese going. Although didn't need it, a little swiss, Monterrey and sharp cheddar. About 5lbs total. Been about 30 minutes with hickory, just using the SG and maintaining 84* with an out side temp of 26* I give it another 45-60 minutes and pull. One question on the blu, after it blooms do I wipe/pat the same as usual? Already planning on putting it in the freezer for a spell before vac sealing.

Ill post a photo before vac sealing.

Salmonsmoker

RJ,
A little suggestion...let the cheese bloom in your smoker. Turn off the SG and let it sit W/O opening the door. I end up with a nicer bloom and product by doing so. I also find that I get the best cheese smoke around 60F. Not much in the way of moisture comes out of the cheese.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

RedJada

LOL, Just got back in for checking on things and saw your post sal. The blu and swiss were getting a bit on the soft side so I puled it. But this does sound like a good idea. How long to you leave it in there to bloom?

On a side note, a piece of cheddar must have gotten cold and jumped off the rack and landed on the V pan. It was about half melted, good thing for low heat and oily cheese. Came right off. Kinda puzzled how that happened.  ???

Salmonsmoker

The same time as you would bloom it on your kitchen counter. 1-2 hrs.
I wonder if your rack went in cold and then expanded when it warmed up enough to make the rack flex, popping off the cheese.

RedJada

Never got over 88* but, racks did go in cold. Maybe It jumped off when I put it in. I have been known to do things and forget seconds later. LOL. Found 2 elements and 2 V trays today. I knew I had backup's, but forgot I did it twice. Wife told me she wondered why I bought them again???  Oh well, It distracts her form my fishing expenses....  ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, Photo before and after (about 90min rest) Never done blu or parmesan before but looks like good results. Gota get my vac bags ready and dinner going.

ragweed

Great looking cheese!  I think you'll like the parmesan, it's one of favorites.  Miss Cindy likes bleu cheese so I think I'll try that next.

RedJada

Thanks rag. Doesn't mater what kind of cheese it is, it all tastes the same right out of the smoker. :o
Looking forward to a month or so to try the blu & parmesan. Both a first for me.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: RedJada on January 25, 2014, 01:13:53 PM
Never got over 88* but, racks did go in cold. Maybe It jumped off when I put it in. I have been known to do things and forget seconds later. LOL. Found 2 elements and 2 V trays today. I knew I had backup's, but forgot I did it twice. Wife told me she wondered why I bought them again???  Oh well, It distracts her form my fishing expenses....  ;D ;D ;D

Good chuckle RJ. I'm opposite. I know I've bought things, just can't find them. ;D   I too need distractions for "other purchases" for other hobbies-homebrewing, scuba diving and spearfishing, hunting, drum smokers (2).......

Saber 4

That's some great looking color you got, and just my 2 cent's I don't wipe them down after they bloom, I just slap it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so to firm up and then into a vacuum bag.