Deer Sausage - Farmer Style

Started by boomer2, January 25, 2014, 03:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomer2

I have been making what I call Farmer Style Sausage for years. Deer, pork, little salt & pepper and a few spices. Usually freeze after making it and then just fry it up when needed. I was looking forward to doing that this year but adding a bit of smoke flavour using the Bradley smoker. However I did not do it because of some of the things I was reading here...but perhaps I took those statements in the wrong context.

So, let me ask the knowledgeable folks on this forum. Can I not cold smoke, or even just smoke at low heat, for 2hours, and then let cool? Then seal and freeze this type of sausage? This is NOT a cure type sausage. If I can smoke just before BBQing, I should be able to do it before freezing right? Thanks.

renoman

You have to take in to account the overall time your meat is going to be in the danger zone (40-140). That would include the grinding and stuffing time as well as the time in the smoker. If you can keep your meat below those temps during grinding and stuffing and then smoke at a really cool temp for maybe an hour you "should" be OK.

boomer2

Tnx Renoman for the reply. Where can I get more info on this "danger zone" and whats supposed to happen?
I have been hunting for years and hanging meat in garage (various length of time and temps). I usually freeze sausage and jerky meat after cutting it. Then take out meat day before to thaw still wrapped up, grind and make jerky (overnight in fridge) or sausage. This can take up to 4-5 hours etc. Am I in this danger zone? Thanks

Saber 4

Rytek Kutas book on great sausage making has an excellent section on the danger zone and how to avoid it. I will leave it for the true sausage and cure experts to chime in on whether your plan is safe or not.

Habanero Smoker

The USDA aslo has that information online:
USDA Food Safety

USDA Smoking Meat & Poultry

From what you describe as how the meat is handled prior to it being made into sausage, your best option would be to smoke/roast the sausage at 200°F - 225°F until it is fully cooked just before you serve it. That will give you sausage a nice smoke flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)