Are pork prices spiking in your area due to PED virus?

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, January 26, 2014, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I'm sure everyone has heard of the PED virus that affects piglets.  It has been in the US for awhile and the first farm was found affected in Ontario Canada this week.  I purchased a pork belly this weekend and the price had spiked about 30% from a month ago.  I kind of raised my eyebrows when the butcher rang it up and he said the increase is due to the PED virus.

Is it rising like this in other areas, I kind of feel like I'm being gouged?

Saber 4

All our meat prices are spiking in the US these days :'(

Habanero Smoker

In my area, the prices for pork were rising quite high since late August due to that virus, and the prices have just begun to decline slowly. At one point some areas were selling spare ribs for almost $3/lbs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seemore

I picked up some pork butt today for .99lb still ok for me ribs are up to 3.99lb
seemore

Wildcat

This is the first I've heard of the PED virus. Guess I need to do a little research. Been trying to settle my Dad's estate and have not kept up with much else.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TedEbear

Never heard of the PED virus.  When I walked past the meat section at the store today pork butts were on sale for $.99/lb.

Salmonsmoker

Nothing's changed yet in this area. Prices are still reasonable.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Bagman

I have 80 lbs of bellies curing and they were $2.17/lb.
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 26, 2014, 01:14:03 PM
In my area, the prices for pork were rising quite high since late August due to that virus, and the prices have just begun to decline slowly. At one point some areas were selling spare ribs for almost $3/lbs.

Dang Hab, that's the normal every day low price up here!  :(  ;)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on January 27, 2014, 03:38:14 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 26, 2014, 01:14:03 PM

Dang Hab, that's the normal every day low price up here!  :(  ;)

Prior to August, spare ribs were on the average of $2.19/lb, and on sale you could get them under $2.00/lb. In the late summer to early fall, pork butts were averaging $1.89/lb and are now going for about $1.50/lb. Before the virus hit, it was not uncommon to purchase them on sale for $.99/lb.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wildcat

Kind of reminds me of the paper shortage way back in the day. Anything to drive up prices.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I was shopping today, and the store I was in was selling Hatfield baby backs for $3.75/lb.; so for some cuts the prices seem to be going back up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

WoodlawnSmoker

Looks like the price jumps are regional for you guys in the US.  I'm guessing because Canada imports lots of pork we are going to feel the shortage hard.  I paid $4.00 a pound for pork belly, that's crazy.

renoman

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on January 30, 2014, 04:28:35 PM
Looks like the price jumps are regional for you guys in the US.  I'm guessing because Canada imports lots of pork we are going to feel the shortage hard.  I paid $4.00 a pound for pork belly, that's crazy.

I agree. The pork shoulder has been outrageous here lately too.

JZ

Pork prices around here aren't bad. Picked up a bunch of side ribs today for $1.88 lb. The beef prices, on the other hand, are too high. Lean ground beef is $3.98 lb and that's the cheapest beef I can find.