Let's try some Cheese

Started by JohnM70, January 26, 2014, 05:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM70

I have been away from smoking for a while, about 2, months and started getting antsy. The temp is 23 and the wind is relentless. I was checking the cold smoking forum and decided on smoking some cheese. We had a couple of packages in the fridge but I did not think that was enough. So my beautiful wife went to market and came back with some great choices. I arranged a rack, selected apple as the smoke and began the process.
I was only going to use the SG but as cold and windy as it was I decided to use the PID and set it very low75 degrees just to take the chill off. Well that provided some interesting readings. The BDS reported 55 degrees, the Maverick reported 95 and going up, the PID reported 80 degrees. Both probes were very close to each other maybe 4 inches apart and on the same rack as the cheese. Well the maverick got to 115 degrees and I decided to turn off the PID. The maverick continued to report 90 to 95 degrees. I check the cheese to see if it had started to melt (about an hour in) no issues. When I pulled the cheese at 2 hours indeed some of the softer cheese had melted a little. It all came off the rack with no problem.
A small piece stuck in the rack and I decided to taste it. I know you all said it would taste like an ash tray but it did not. I could taste the smoke and it was a little raw but OK. I think maybe the apple is very mild and did not convey the heavier flavor oak or hickory.
The cheese has been vacuum-sealed and is now in the fridge. It won't come out until April. I will probably smoke some more just for grins. The April date is because we will be a way for a while so no problem with sneaking a taste. It will be interesting when the family is here for Easter. They know I do a lot in smoking and they are always interested it what pops up. 

This is what was selected:

Out of the smoker. You can see the softer cheese melted a bit.

Sealed and ready for the fridge. See you all in April, rest well. 

You all on this forum are great.... Next BACON! ;D and possibility a leg of lamb!  8)
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

ragweed

Nice looking cheese.  It's addictive, but if you make bacon, you'll be a goner for sure.   :) :)

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on January 26, 2014, 05:35:48 PM
Nice looking cheese.  It's addictive, but if you make bacon, you'll be a goner for sure.   :) :)

X2!!!

Smoker John

Looks good, looking forward to trying some cold smoking with my new adapter
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712