Beef brisket last Saturday.

Started by GusRobin, January 26, 2014, 08:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

A couple of Saturday's ago I decided to make the brisket I had in the freezer. It was a 7lb packer. I never did one that small so I thought I'd give it a try. When I do the larger ones I start the night before. Since it was smaller I thought I would wait and start it about 7 am. Should have started earlier because at 7:30 pm it was at 192* IT and I didn't have time to FTC due to hunger pains.
Rubbed and ready for an overnight rest in the fridge.

Ready to go in the Bradley.

In the Bradley and ready to start. Hooked up the maverick and PID as it was starting to rain and I didn't want to go out and check things.

Buttoned it up in the "Bradley shed"

Good smoke coming out from the vent

Had to check.

All done.

Ready to eat with some roasted potatoes.

It seems like for me the smaller ones come out better. Maybe because there is not such a big difference in thickness between the 2 ends. Usually for me the flat comes out a little drier than the point. This time it all came out tender and moist.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Pachanga

GusRobin,

I have been reading your posts with interest for some time now.  I always pick out 10 to 12 pounders but your results look very convincing.  The next time I run across a a small hunk, I will give it a go.  It has been many years since I went small.

Thanks for the nudge and inspiration.

Pachanga

TedEbear

Looks pretty good. I recently bought one of those pellet tubes.  What flavor did you use for the brisket?

BBNRules

That is one sweet set up.  Nicely done.

GusRobin

Quote from: TedEbear on January 27, 2014, 09:10:39 PM
Looks pretty good. I recently bought one of those pellet tubes.  What flavor did you use for the brisket?

Hickory
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

pondee

" It was a 7lb packer. I never did one that small so I thought I'd give it a try. When I do the larger ones I start the night before."

I couldn't find the glossary.  What is/are the difference(s) between/among: Packer, Point, Flat, & Brisket? Thanks

KyNola

A brisket is made up of two different muscles.  One of the muscles is called a flat because it is the one on the bottom and is essentially rectangular in shape.  The second muscle is called the point because it is triangular shaped, lies on top of the flat at one end of the brisket.  A packer is a whole brisket that contains both the flat and point.  The flat can be separated from the point and purchased individually as well.

Hope this helps.  If someone has better information they will be along to clarify my explanation.

tailfeathers

Quote from: KyNola on February 10, 2014, 06:32:34 AM
A brisket is made up of two different muscles.  One of the muscles is called a flat because it is the one on the bottom and is essentially rectangular in shape.  The second muscle is called the point because it is triangular shaped, lies on top of the flat at one end of the brisket.  A packer is a whole brisket that contains both the flat and point.  The flat can be separated from the point and purchased individually as well.

Hope this helps.  If someone has better information they will be along to clarify my explanation.
As good a definition as you will ever find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

pondee

Saber 4

Excellent description Larry, You might add in the description of the Tri-Tip for people that don't see them in their local stores.

Smoker John

Indeed nice description & a tasty looking brisket
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

BigRich

Quote from: Saber 4 on February 10, 2014, 09:55:49 AM

Excellent description Larry, You might add in the description of the Tri-Tip for people that don't see them in their local stores.

I'm guessing it's the point?

GusRobin

TNRockyraccoon

That looks delicious Gus. I love your smoke shed setup. The scene of the crime so to say.

BBNRules

If it weren't for the fact that I prefer Burnt Ends I would give up on briskets, the flat anyway.  I've done 3 and the only one that was moist in both the flat and the point was the Prime one.  I used 2 other Choice and the internal temp of the flat said 190 and it failed the fork test miserably.  The point was spot on.  So I cut it all up into chunks and 4 to 5 more hours on the smoker gets me my cache of Burnt Ends.  I'd like to try a flat sometime to get that leaner meat for sandwiches, but so far the Choice grade hasn't delivered.  The pork butts have been outstanding, the brisket is a finicky SOB.