So, what's going in the smoker for Super Bowl Sunday!?

Started by BBNRules, January 27, 2014, 05:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBNRules

Ribs, Butt, and maybe a small brisket for me.  Better start Saturday at midnight if I want that pork butt by 6.  What is everybody else doing?

OntarioSmoke

I have similar plans, Pork Butt and Brisket started the night before then throwing in a few racks of ribs the morning of.  On the non smoking side also have wings ready to go into the fryer and done with a couple sauces and layered nachos.   Game should be great but I know the food will be.

BBNRules

Ontario, a question for you.  The last 10 lb butt I did took a total of 16 hours on the smoker.  If I start it at 1am, I'll get up at 5 and change the water and continue to smoke that and the brisket for a total of 6 hours (did 5 last time, it can handle 6 at least, maybe 7).  When you add the ribs, say around 11am, they need smoke and the 3-2-1 method.  Do you leave the brisket and butt on there to get additional smoke from the rib cooking, or do you cover them in foil during the 3 hour rib smoke?  I was trying out how to time the ribs and the other meats so not to oversmoke.  I may have to move the butt and brisket to the oven for those 3 hours, thoughts?

OntarioSmoke

Hey BBN,

Definitely not an expert so others probably have better advice but I can tell you what my plan is.   Since my party is more of a buffet style event with people showing up at varying times having food finish at different times works out well for me.  I haven't picked up the meat yet but am looking for a 8-10lb butt and brisket so their cook times should be fairly close, however I am probably being a bit optimistic about that since each piece can vary so much.

Will start the butt and brisket around 7 or 8pm the night before and around midnight replace the water bowl with a larger tray of water change the water and rotate racks around midnight and for the over night cook.  I will get up early and check on things and rotate the racks and add some additional water.  Hope to have my pulled pork and brisket off by 12 or 1 and then I can let them rest wrapped in a cooler and perfect for afternoon snacking as people arrive.  I will then start the ribs up and let them go on the smoker for about 6 hours where they get an apple juice spritz every couple hours and then get finished on the grill.  So ideally they are ready for half time.  We also have wings on the go and they usually get dropped before the game and are good for kick off, past experience has taught me that it is a wise choice to use the deep fryer before we cross that safety threshold where using a propane deep fryer in mediocre light and drinking intersect. 

Not sure if that helps, also if anyone has any tips or ideas on my timing I would be interested in any advice that can be offered.

BBNRules

I gotcha, you're really doing 2 completely different smokes.  I was trying to do them simultaneously.  That may not work. 

OntarioSmoke

Ya I wouldnt have enough room to do it all at once which is why I am doing it that way.  That being said I don't think it would hurt anything to have the smoke come back on, I doubt it will impart anymore flavor into the meat though after being cooked for so long but I am not sure if there are any negatives to doing this.