Chocolate Pie

Started by BBNRules, January 30, 2014, 02:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBNRules

This one has earned rave reviews for years.  It's rich, decadent, and intensely chocolate.  It makes 2 pies.

You will need:

2 Deep Pie crusts
8 oz. of Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate
2 sticks of butter
8 egg yolks
1 pint of Half and Half
4 cups of sugar
4 tbslps of flour
1 tsp of vanilla

In a double boiler, put the half/half, butter, and chocolate in and whisk slowly until it combines together, around 7 minutes.  Sift or combine the sugar and flour and add it to the chocolate mixture and continue whisking.  Beat the egg yolks and add them immediately.  If you take too much time and let the choclolate mixture get too hot to add eggs, take some out and temper the eggs and chocolate before adding them into the double boiler.  Slowly whisk for 10 to 13 minutes until the sugar dissolves and thickens a little bit.  It won't be super thick, just thicker than when it started.  Pour it into the pie crusts into a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.  When you take it out it will look like chocolate soup.  This is normal.  Let it rest on the counter for an hour, then refrigerate overnight.  If you make it in the morning, it should be OK by dinner time.  You can microwave it for 10 seconds before adding whipped cream (NO COOL WHIP!) and it's chocolate love.  I can't count the number of people that have said it was the best chocolate pie they have ever had.  This ain't no chocolate cream pie.  When you pick it up it's heavy (a sign that it's a good pie!)

RedJada

Man, that sounds great. Going to try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

BBNRules

One thing I want to stress.  I'm serious about the 10 seconds.  Depending on your microwave, more than that can turn the pie into ice cream topping.  Some people prefer it cold, I like it warmed just a bit.  You can go up to 15 seconds on lower wattage mic's but do it in small bursts and watch it closely.

TedEbear

I just finished making two of these and they are in the fridge, after their 1-hr cooldown on the counter.  Can't wait to taste this "low cal" dessert later this evening.   :)

While I was waiting for the 1-hr cooldown to finish I looked up the calorie content of each ingredient.  Fat calories are in parenthesis.

2 Deep Pie crusts – 1440 (720)
8 oz. of Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate – 1440 (1120)
2 sticks of butter – 1600 (1600)
8 egg yolks – 480 (40)
1 pint of Half and Half – 640 (480)
4 cups of sugar – 3080 (0)
4 tbsp of flour – 125 (3)
1 tsp of vanilla – 12 (0)

Total calories - 8817 (3963)
Calories per slice (8 slices per pie) – 515 (248)

This doesn't take into account any whipped cream topping you may add.  Thanks for posting the recipe. 

RedJada

The more calories the better right? Just heading off to market when i saw this....

RedJada

Pie's in the oven. I chopped the butter and chocolate into fine pieces. Doing this really expedited the melting proses. Dumped in the sugar/flour and whisked for 5 minutes. Felt I was a little warm to add the yokes so tempered. Did a taste test and very good. Wife taste tested and got an "OMG"  ;D ;D ;D. Going to be some good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Here is a photo before the oven. Time to come out... -10 minutes....

barbquebec

...gotta try this also... 8)

TedEbear

Quote from: RedJada on February 01, 2014, 03:24:12 PMHere is a photo before the oven.

Looks like some hot bubbles there.  Did you use a double boiler to melt everything?  I did a Google search and saw how easy they were to make and did it that way.  I was concerned about the chocolate getting too hot before adding the egg yokes.  I don't think mine bubbled at all.

Mine should be ready to eat. Been in the fridge for over 7 hours but I'm waiting for my better half to get home from work shortly before cutting into things.  Just got back from the store with some whipped cream topping.  :)

RedJada

Did use a double boiler. The batter only got warm, I think I may have whisked too hard causing air to get mixed in causing the air bubbles.

BBNRules

You guys are quick studies!!!  The completed pie looks exactly like it should.  I never calculated calories, but if it's ONLY 500 per slice I'm somewhat shocked, I thought it would have been much more.  After it sets up, microwave for 10-13 seconds and top with Redi-Whip and let the chocolate roll over the top of you.  LOL

I did this one year and I don't recommend anyone else doing it again.  My son's birthday cake for his 16th birthday.  We took two vanilla cakes and hollowed half of each inside.  We took at cooled pie and cut the edge crust off so it would fit INSIDE the cooled cakes. Then we put a butter cream icing on top.  WTH were we thinking?!?!?!  You slice the cake thinking it's just cake then you hit this wall of chocolate and something is amiss.  LMAO

BBNRules

Looking forward to the review TedEBear.  I'm not a coffee drinker, but my old boss said that the pie takes on a whole new meaning with a cup of coffee. 

RedJada

Quote from: BBNRules on February 02, 2014, 08:15:52 AM
You guys are quick studies!!! , something is amiss.  LMAO

Yep....  ;D ;D ;D

RedJada

Man, this is great stuff and I only had a quarter pie. ;D. Forgot the ready whip at the store but didn't miss it.... Thanks for sharing the recipe. Might try adding some peanut butter next time.

TedEbear

Our first pie is about gone, although I cannot keep from thinking about the 500+ calories as I'm putting a slice on the plate.  :)  My wife and I both think it's great.  I had been eating it cold but this afternoon I warmed a slice for 11 seconds in the microwave before adding Reddi-wip.  I wish there was a drool icon but it was really good when heated just a tad.

Apparently, the Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate I bought was a dark chocolate, although it didn't say that on the package.  My wife wants me to try our next batch with a milk chocolate and see how that comes out.

Snoopy

bookmarked, may have to wait till after the physical readiness test next month to make it though.