Warming up Pulled Pork in Crock Pot

Started by zueth, February 01, 2014, 01:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I am doing a bunch of pork butts today, they will be done in a few hours, then I am going to FTC and then pull.  For warming up tomorrow for pulled pork carnitas I  want to warm up in crock pot.  The question is should I add some liquid so the meet doesn't dry out and how long in the crock pot? use low or warm?  Thanks.

ragweed

I add a little water or apple juice and just eave it on low 'til it's gone.

tailfeathers

Here's a sauce recipe for pulled pork I really like. It's from the Weber "Real Grilling" cookbook.
1 cup each water, ketchup and cider vinegar
3 T sugar
1 t Worcestershire
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t each cayenne & dry mustard
1/4 t fresh ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients and simmer 10 minutes, add to your pulled pork.
Really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

zueth

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 01, 2014, 03:55:08 PM
Here's a sauce recipe for pulled pork I really like. It's from the Weber "Real Grilling" cookbook.
1 cup each water, ketchup and cider vinegar
3 T sugar
1 t Worcestershire
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t each cayenne & dry mustard
1/4 t fresh ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients and simmer 10 minutes, add to your pulled pork.
Really good!

Looks like it makes a lot of sauce, how much do you add to a 6lb pork butt after shredding?

tailfeathers

You would be surprised at how much of this sauce a 6# butt will absorb. I usually put the pulled pig into a crockpot and add sauce until I reach the level of moistness I'm looking for but I end up using it all as often as not.

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Habanero Smoker

If you are looking to just add some moisture without adding additional flavors, I generally add some low sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth. Sometimes pork broth if I can find it.

If I'm adding a flavoring sauce, I add it until I reach the flavor you like. I mainly use a vaunted vinegar sauce. I generally will start with a 7 - 8lb butt, and when pulled it will take almost two cups to get to the desired flavor. I generally start with one cup then taste, and add at 1/2 cup intervals until I get the desired flavor. Then I will have addition sauce that I have added, and a few other sauces on the side that other can add if they want.

If you are making carnitas, another option is to do a search for crockpot carnitas, and use the seasonings they list in the recipe, with some liquid.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

I warmed it up in crock pot for about 2 hours on low then on warm the rest

crackin

I have used the chipotle bullion cubes for pork with much success, especially for tacos and such.

DukeNukeIt

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a sauce with all the juice that accumulates after doing the "Texas Crutch" foil?  Seems to be quite a bit of liquid left over...

watchdog56

I usually save that juice in a jar and scim the fat off. Then when I need to reheat any of my pulled pork I put some juice in with it.