Cold Smoking Help ??

Started by Cheezhead, February 09, 2014, 06:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheezhead

Hi Folks.  I am looking at the 6 rack model and want to COLD smoke our home made sausage.  Smoker temps need to be 80 F. or less and the unit I looked at in the store has a minimum temp setting of 120F.  So my question is...how are you able to control the temp.  Or do I need to find a different unit.

Thanks much for your input.

Saber 4

When you cold smoke with the Bradley you only use the smoke generator and if your outside temp is low enough the cabinet temp will remain in the 70-80 degree range. I just got a cold smoke adapter that moves the SG down lower than the cabinet and pipes the smoke up into the cabinet so you can control the temps better in warmer weather. I smoke cold smoke cheese and boiled eggs in my 4 rack digital.  Hope this helps, others will chime in with their methods and suggestions, if you have more questions ask away.

hutcho

With mine (no cold smoke adapter) I have seen temps up to 100 before. That's going off what the bradley says too and I dont think its quite accurate.  To bring temps down some for cheese and stuff I use a couple frozen 2 liter bottles of water.  The bradley is a great unit and you won't be disappointed with it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Saber 4

Quote from: hutcho on February 09, 2014, 06:25:36 PM
With mine (no cold smoke adapter) I have seen temps up to 100 before. That's going off what the bradley says too and I dont think its quite accurate.  To bring temps down some for cheese and stuff I use a couple frozen 2 liter bottles of water.  The bradley is a great unit and you won't be disappointed with it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

You're dead on when it's above 40 degrees here I have seen temps up to 105 with just the smoke generator and have had to use the ice method to keep it down. I got the adapter because we just don't have that much cool weather in Texas.

tailfeathers

I'm in South Dakota where temps run to extremes both hot and cold. I have so far been able to cold smoke by just using the SG and like the others have said I add 1/2 gallon milk jugs full of ice in the drip tray if the temp starts climbing to high. I've also had to run the heat element at times to get the cabinet temp up to 80f because the SG by itself couldn't get it warm enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Roget

I have the Bradley cold smoke adapter & have cold smoked a good bit of cheese. ( as well as other items)

At ambient temps in the 50s, even into the low 60s, I can usually keep the cabinet temps below 80F without the use of ice.
In the event the temp gets above the desired level, one can simply open the door for a second & the temp will drop quickly. ( I'm sure we all know how quickly the heat will escape!!) The smoke you will lose is minimal.

To me the Bradley cold smoke adapter is worth it's weight in gold. It beats the heck out of messing with ice.

Just my two cents.
YCDBSOYA