Mike's Insanely Great Smoked Carnitas

Started by zueth, February 04, 2014, 12:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

Here is the recipe:

http://www.pupntaco.com/?p=389

I made these this past weekend for the Super Bowl.  I followed the recipe, but adapted to the Bradley, so I did not mop. But did use the mop as a finishing sauce.

I cooked four pork shoulders(about 30lbs) at 225(in the beginning much less while waiting for cabinet temperature to come up after adding meat).  Took the shoulders to a IT of 195 and then FTC for 5 hours.  Shredded and put back in the fridge, then put in crock pot on Sunday to warm up with some of the finishing sauce.  The pulled pork was great and was a nice change from traditional pulled pork.  We made carnitas/tacos with them, we served them with flour tortillas,  guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and cheddar cheese.

Here are a few pics:
The pork out of the marinade and rub on.

First two done after 29 hours.

Second two done after 31 hours.

Not the best shot of the pork shredded because it was taken after in fridge overnight, it was 1 am when I finished shredding all four shoulders and forgot to get a pick.  In was nice and moist and flavorful.

I vacuum packed all but one of the butts, here they are:

The remaining pork was severed with the carnitas for super bowl.

TNRockyraccoon

That's looks awesome and sounds delicious. I'm ready for a vacuum sealer.

Saber 4

That looks delicious. I love saving shredded pork in vac bags it's so easy to thaw and heat up for a quick meal.