Teflon racks vs frogmats

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, February 05, 2014, 03:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Hey folks, I was all set to order some frogmats when I saw that Bradley sells some teflon racks.  To order four racks is not much more expensive than the frogmats for me in Canada.

I did a search and found that in the past the teflon racks were of poor quality.  Is this still the case?  Are frogmats still a beeter option than the teflon racks?  Thanks.
Don

tailfeathers

I would go with the frogmats, especially if you plan on doing nuts of any kind. The openings in the Teflon jerky racks from Bradley are still large enough that pistachios or almonds will fall through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Ka Honu

...plus the Teflon wears off and they start to rust

...plus they're harder to clean

...plus you get Teflon in your food

...plus "Teflon" doesn't sound nearly as cool as "frogmats."

tskeeter

Woodlawn, I find you can do some things with frogmats that you can't do with Teflon coated racks.  Specifically, I've rolled pork loin up in the frogmats to hold the loin in a more uniform shape/size while making Canadian bacon.  This helps the Canadian bacon cook more evenly.  The side benefit is that the marks left by the frogmats are a great slicing guide if you are slicing by hand.

(Don't remember who I stole this idea from.  I saw it in a picture that another forum member posted.  But it works great!)

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks guys, think I'll order the frogmats, try them for awhile and order the teflon racks in the future if I think I need them.  Good feedback.

Ka Honu

tskeeter - I remember the days when Nevadans could roll up a whole pig in rebar and you can't even manage a little bitty pork loin in a wussy Teflkon rack?  You should be ashamed of yourself.

tailfeathers

I also use the frogmats to roll up loins when making c bacon, it works great. I purchased a couple sets of the jerky racks as well. I have a six rack smoker but with a couple sets of the jerky racks and enough frog mats I can smoke 12 racks at a time when doing nuts, jerky or anything thin enough to fit under a rack inverted on top of another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

renoman

I have had a set of Bradley Teflon racks for years now. Bought them to make jerky in my oven. They are still like new. Very good quality and much easier to clean the the ones that came with my smoker. I agree that the frog mats work good for small items and are very easy to clean.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: renoman on February 06, 2014, 06:24:20 AM
I have had a set of Bradley Teflon racks for years now. Bought them to make jerky in my oven. They are still like new. Very good quality and much easier to clean the the ones that came with my smoker. I agree that the frog mats work good for small items and are very easy to clean.
Don't know where you got your racks reno, but you lucked out. I bought two sets and they rusted after 2 uses then the Teflon fell completely off shortly after.  When the Teflon was intact the food stuck worse to them than the original racks. The only thing they're good for now is sifting 1/2" minus gravel. :o Frog mats.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Saber 4

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on February 06, 2014, 07:18:38 AM
Don't know where you got your racks reno, but you lucked out. I bought two sets and they rusted after 2 uses then the Teflon fell completely off shortly after.  When the Teflon was intact the food stuck worse to them than the original racks. The only thing they're good for now is sifting 1/2" minus gravel. :o Frog mats.

Sift much gravel??? ;D

tskeeter

Quote from: Ka Honu on February 05, 2014, 05:52:47 PM
tskeeter - I remember the days when Nevadans could roll up a whole pig in rebar and you can't even manage a little bitty pork loin in a wussy Teflkon rack?  You should be ashamed of yourself.

Looks in mirror.  Blushes.  Yup, a wuss.

renoman

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on February 06, 2014, 07:18:38 AM

Got them at BBQ Country here in Edmonton maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I don't know for sure that they were a Bradley item but they fit the smoker and are exactly the same size as the OEMs except the holes are smaller.