Started by Bigwalleye, February 06, 2014, 01:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigwalleye

Just got a digital 4 rack and looking to try it out this weekend.  I am looking to smoke some brats, chicken and also some bacon.  Any ideas or tips as rookie with no experience.  Thanks

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  Lots of good folks here very willing to help.  So ask anything.  Read everything you can on this forum.  Go slow, be patient and keep your top vent open.

KyNola

Welcome to the Forum!  Are you looking to smoke all 3 at the same time for your first time?  Not something I would try but if that is what you want to do we will all be here to assist.

TNRockyraccoon

Quote from: KyNola on February 06, 2014, 05:51:07 PM
Are you looking to smoke all 3 at the same time for your first time?

Welcome aboard. I agree with Nola on this. My first smoke ever was loaded down with about 20lbs and it was rough to say the least. However, once you get seasoned larger loads will come easy.

Your going to love the smoker and the gold that comes out of it.

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, and I agree with the others pick a single meat first smoke project and let us know what help you need and we'll do our best to make your first smoke successful and memorable.

Snoopy

welcome, just click and read, this site is full of ideas to get you started and keep you going. i was on here for about 2 weeks or more before i purchased mine just getting ideas and since just keep finding more to try. best of luck

UncleAl

Welcome from Michigan

NorthShoreMN

Welcome from Minnesota
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Bigwalleye

I plan on smoking each item individualy.
Brats, burgers and chicken.  Might not smoke anything if it stays 15 below zero

tailfeathers

My advice would be to make Canadian bacon out of a pork loin as one of your first attempts at any kind of cured meat. I'm sure everyone has their favorite recipe, I use Mallardwhacker's  maple recipe and it turns out perfect for me every time. I'm not exactly sure why this method uses 21 days of curing time when most are much less than that, but it was the first one I tried and I figure why mess with success! Very easy to do and spectacular results. You'll be hooked, guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

And then it's "Katie bar the door" because it's kinda like a disease.

pondee

Welcome.  Keep the vent open and use patience. 

My first cook was a 5# chuck roast.  4 hours of mesquite with 6 hours of total cooking (got anxious waiting for dinner to be done).  Too much smoke, too little time.  NOT GOOD.  Thereafter, I understood that this is low and slow to the max.  Best early cook was an  11# pork but.  Three hours of smoke started at 9P.M.  Changed the water to a baking pan (very hot), removing the spent pucks at mid-night, went to bed.  Awoke, checked the remote thermometer, refreshed the water, hot as I could get it, and waited for an IT of 195*.  All this took place with a cabinet temp of circa 225*.  Finished at around 2 PM, FTC for 3 hours and it was great.  It is easy to be patient when you are asleep.

Then ribs 3-2-1.  This gives you something to do during the cook instead of simply ignoring it.  Plan on other things to do during your longer cooks and it goes easier  At least for me.  Have fun.

Bigwalleye

How much smoke should I use on the chicken legs and how long
should I smoke for total and temp.  Was thinking 210 degrees for 3-4hours with 2 of smoke.
Appreciate all the help

pondee

IMO you really have to crisp them up in a hot oven/broiler/grill.  The Bradley will crisp chicken

tailfeathers

Quote from: pondee on February 07, 2014, 07:04:19 PM
IMO you really have to crisp them up in a hot oven/broiler/grill.  The Bradley will crisp chicken
I think pondee meant to say will NOT crisp chicken. Smoke it for the flavor then finish with a higher heat source for crispy skin.