Salmon.

Started by TNRockyraccoon, February 06, 2014, 04:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRockyraccoon

I worked on my Bradley and my smoking setup all day yesterday....and I was chomping at the bit to smoke something today. So I picked up some wild caught Alaskan salmon fillets for the wife and I.

These were done in what I call a sweet n sour style.

Squeezed half a lemon onto two fillets (1 - 2lbs).
Grind course pepper on the filets....and maybe some lemon pepper seasoning.
Turn skin side up and let the salmon soak in lemon juice for ten to fifteen minutes.
Brush with a simple brine consisting of salt, brown sugar and warm water.
Now, give it a generous coating of brown sugar. Just enough to soak up the brine.
Let stand for thirty minutes to an hour.
Preheat Bradley to 225.
Smoke for two hours (I used apple) at 225.
Its done after it reaches an IT of 140. I like my salmon a little more firm so I went to 155.
I served it with lemon wedges, asparagus and baked potatoes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

iceman

I'd hammer a plate (or two) of that! Great looking meal.

Saber 4

tailfeathers

Looking gooood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

pondee

TNRockyracco said:

"Preheat Bradley to 225.
Smoke for two hours (I used apple) at 225"

I thought that if you cooked/smoked salmon at that high a heat to start you run the risk of getting "buggers".  No?  Now, those fillets look great.  Just getting a little confused.  Thanks

tailfeathers

I think where you are getting confused is the difference between cooking salmon as a meal or smoking it for smoked salmon to be used as a snack or ingredient on salads, etc.

pondee

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 07, 2014, 10:21:49 AM
I think where you are getting confused is the difference between cooking salmon as a meal or smoking it for smoked salmon to be used as a snack or ingredient on salads, etc.

That is probably the case.  However, your response does not make the distinction.  So, my guess is that you can cook salmon at 225* bugger free, but if you are smoking it you must start at about 140* and inch your way up?  Thanks

ragweed

I'm no expert but I think it might depend on how much fat is in the salmon.  I've cooked a fresh king filet that was covered in fat (boogers).  Other times, not so much.  Same temp 220, same time 1:45.

Boo Boudreaux

This must be a sign, it's time to smoke some salmon.

That looks really good.

tailfeathers

I've made smoked salmon in my smoker and grilled salmon on my grill but have never prepared salmon in the smoker as a meal per se. When I make it on the grill it's usually a recipe where it's wrapped in foil with flavorings of one variety or another. Can't say as I noticed any "boogering" at the time buts it's been a while so I don't know for sure one way or the other. My cooking horizons have expanded a lot so I may have to try cooking salmon in my smoker to find out for myself. My biggest problem is the fact that I love the smoked salmon so much it's gonna be hard to force myself yo prepare it any other way!!!

TNRockyraccoon

Im guessing the main difference is time. These fillets were done in a little under two hours, and were booger free.

I've often seen the white fat booger up when grilling salmon as its much hotter on the grill. The smoker is still slow and fairly low heat compared to the grill. Now most people would probably pull the salmon at 140 degrees if they were preparing it for the main dish. It would still be fairly moist.....whereas mine was a touch dry, but that's the way I like it because I love showering mine with lemon juice while I eat it.

Its super easy to prepare like this and oh so good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk