SUSAN MINOR

Started by Jim O, February 07, 2014, 10:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim O

Anyone else having problems logging into the Susan Minor site ?

Can't access the "smoked Almonds " recipe.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Saber 4

See this thread for the history on the current issues with the recipe site. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34298.msg400768;topicseen#msg400768

Someone who downloaded the whole site may be along shortly with the recipe though. :)

tailfeathers

Jim O-
Here are a couple recipes for smoked almonds that I use and recommend, they aren't from the site but I got them off the web in years past so I can't give proper credit to the originators.
Smoked almonds:
3# bag raw almonds
3 egg whites
1.5 tsp liquid smoke
2 T each garlic powder, celery salt, sea salt,
Thoroughly mix all ingredients in a small bowl then pour over almonds in a large bowl and stir well. Refrigerate 1-3 hrs. Spread on frog mats and smoke at 200-225 until dry, usually between 2 and 3 hrs. Cool and enjoy!
Honey smoked almonds:
3# raw almonds
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup each melted butter, brown sugar, real maple syrup
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
Combine all ingredients in large bowl, refrigerate 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Spray frog mats with Pam and spread almonds in a single layer. This will be very gooey! Smoke at 200-225 until dry, usually a little over 3 hrs.
Notes: if you have one, use a grinder on the dry spices before mixing , especially the sea salt. The finer they are the better they will stick to the nuts. Be sure to keep a close eye on them while smoking and rotate racks frequently to keep from burning the lower rear nuts. Especially on the honey ones. I've smoked lots of these (both recipes) and everyone seems to enjoy them. I usually do a batch of each then package some seperately and some combined, they complement each other nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Oh and be sure lick out the bowl after you spread the honey ones on mats! Dang that's good !

Jim O

Tailfeathers

Thanks for the response. The recipe that I've had great success in the past,and was looking for,contained just black pepper,cayenne,garlic powder,sea/kosher salt and perhaps another spice,and a bit of oil. I think I remember the spices correctly,but it's the quantities I can't recasll.

I thought that the site wasn't going down 'till March,or I would have downloaded it earlier. (story of my life) !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

Habanero Smoker

Hopefully the site will soon be available to all.

SMOKE ALMONDS
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp finely ground kosher or sea salt
2 tsp chile powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 pound almonds

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.

The recipe I have calls for placing all dry ingredients in a spice or coffee mill and grind them as fine as possible to make them adhere better to the nuts.
I used an electric coffee bean grinder which worked well to powderize the dry ingredients.

Pour ground spices into a large bowl, and combine with oil. Mix well and set aside.

I don't have the fancy mesh grates for my OBS so I just covered the original grates with foil and poked lots of holes with a corn cob holder. I did this to two trays and loaded them up with 12 ounces of almonds a piece.

Into the OBS they went, using my cold smoking box set-up. I cold smoked them around 80-90 degrees F for 2 hours with 6 hickory bisquettes.

Out of the smoker after a 2 hour cold smoke and into a bowl with the spice mix. Mix well so that the almonds are evenly coated.

Spread them on a baking sheet, place in oven, and roast for 10-15 minutes, stirring several times. Remove from oven, taste and add additional salt/seasoning if needed.

After cooling, store the almonds in an airtight container.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jim O

Thanks Habs - That's the one I wanted !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

tailfeathers

I'm always up for trying something new so I may give this a shot, but I'm confused by the instructions. It says to mix everything (spices, nuts and oil) in a bowl and set aside. Then cold smoke. Then put in a bowl with the spice mix before oven roasting. I'm not the brightest bulb in the string by any means but do I cold smoke the nuts coated with oil and spice or with nothing on them? I'm having trouble with figuring out at exactly what stage in the process the nuts get the oil and spice coating. I hope you understand what I'm getting at, I think I just confused myself even more. (If that's possible)

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will correct it as it should have been written.

I mistakenly inserted "add almonds" in the third step. The almonds are cold smoke then coated with oil and spices and roasted in the oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tailfeathers

That's kinda what I thought, thanks!!!