Smoking Beef for Chilli

Started by HRC99, February 21, 2014, 11:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HRC99

I've got this notion that I could get some really nice smokey flavour into a big pot of chilli by smoking some pieces of beef then making the chilli.

I've got some nice pieces of beef skirt to smoke but I'm in two minds as to the best way to smoke them. Get them up to a decent IT and make the chilli or to cold smoke them then cook them up.

What do the experts think?  :)

pondee

I'm a little leery, frightened, scared, concerned about cold smoking uncured meat for any period of time.  Perhaps my fears are unfounded?

HRC99

So you think hot smoke for a couple of hours?

Ka Honu

As far as I'm concerned, the best chili meat in the world is smoked brisket point. My biggest problem in smoking brisket is whether to use the point for chili or burnt ends.

Habanero Smoker

You can do it either way. Skirt steak has a great surface to mass ratio, so you will not need too much smoke time. I would prefer 40 - 60 minutes cold smoke, which should be plenty. Then cube it (or grind) and brown it in the chili pot; or if you are not making chili throw them on the grill or into the pan.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HRC99

Beef skirt smoked for an hour and a half in Jim Bean. Tasted good, nice and smokey but not overly so.

Fried off with finely diced onions, red onions and celery. Then herbs and spices plus ancho chillies and bit of water.  As a little bonus, I'd picked up two beef short ribs which I smoked for two hours then added them to the chilli.  Hopefully they'll add a bit of extra flavour and richness to it.

It's in the oven now on low and I'll be leaving it there for a good 3-4 hours.

Excited!

tailfeathers

PPP. (Post pics please)! If you can, sounds great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

HRC99

I'll post a photo when it's finished. Around 2.5 hours in the oven and looking/tasting pretty damn good right now. A really nice smokiness to it which is exactly what I was after.

HRC99

Not quite the finished product but nearly there.

The skirts is just starting to break down nicely.

Saber 4

Looking good, I'd have to scoop a sample out onto a fresh hot tortilla before it goes any further.

tailfeathers

You are killing me here! Can't say I didn't ask though. That looks awfully good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

HRC99

Nice as it was today, it'll be better tomorrow. Plenty to vac pack and freeze.

Genuinely the best chilli I've ever made. The smokiness is spot on.  Really pleased.  Now I need to double up with around 12lbs of meat and make a proper batch.  8)