Pulling the membrane of Baby Back Ribs

Started by zueth, February 07, 2014, 02:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I am having a heck of a time pulling the membrane of the baby back ribs.  Looking for some pointers to make this easier.

renoman

I use a cheap, dull, serrated knife to get a grip on it.

tailfeathers

Get a corner worked loose and grab it with a dry paper towel is what works best for me. I use a standard bit screwdriver to get it started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

STLstyle

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 07, 2014, 03:59:12 PM
Get a corner worked loose and grab it with a dry paper towel is what works best for me. I use a standard bit screwdriver to get it started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2
I use a butter knife to get started and dry paper towel for grip to pull it off

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Saber 4

Quote from: ghost9mm on February 07, 2014, 05:36:06 PM
Here ya go... just watch how easy it is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fqJcc4n_I

I use a similar method that uses the back end of a spoon or fork inserted between the membrane and the meat between the first two ribs, work it under and across the ribs then pull up on the spoon, that breaks the membrane free to pull it like they do in the video. It seems to get me done quicker than trying to work the membrane off the first rib.

River Rat

I use a butter knife to get it started and then paper towel to pull it off
River Rat
"Smoke On"

pensrock

QuoteI use a similar method that uses the back end of a spoon or fork inserted between the membrane and the meat between the first two ribs, work it under and across the ribs then pull up on the spoon, that breaks the membrane free to pull it like they do in the video. It seems to get me done quicker than trying to work the membrane off the first rib.
I do the same thing, I must have seen how to do it on a video or something but it works pretty good. Sometimes you just get a stubborn pig and it gives you fits but most of the time it goes pretty easy.  :)

renoman

I think that membrane is also easier to remove if the ribs have never been frozen.

Jkwellborn

Catfish skinners would be a good way. Never thought of that. I've never actually pulled it though