First Brisket, and another question

Started by heinz, June 24, 2006, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heinz

Pre-heated the Bradley and planning for 5 hours of smoke and then to 185-190 of meat temp. Hoping for ready at suppertime. Might be late supper, but maybe not as the Brisket I got is just the flat and not much fat. I cut it in half and am using the 2 middle racks. This is a chance for the Bradley to really shine as expectations are low due to the cut being used.

My smoke is 2 pucks of Special and 1 of Mesquite. We'll see how it goes.

The question is regarding the 2 dead pucks. I basically just leave them in. I cleaned out the partial burn of the last smoke and then just add pucks and set the smoke time. I turn the smoke on and then 15 minutes or so later advance the wood and set the time, temp, etc. and 15 minutes after that I put the racks in. Meat has been out of the fridge for a couple of hours. Dry rubbed a couple of days ago and wrapped in a plastic bag.

You can probably tell that I'm a lazy smoker, which is why I went for the digital Bradley. However, even though I'm a lazy smoker I'm hoping to learn to get acceptable results. But if I'm doing something obviously wrong I'd like to catch it before I get ticked off and the Bradley becomes a white elephant, hence my postings, which hopefully are not a nuisiance. Thanks in advance for putting up with me and for your comments.

Heinz
http://web.mac.com/heinz/iWeb/MyGMC/MyBlog/MyBlog.html

manxman

QuoteThe question is regarding the 2 dead pucks. I basically just leave them in.
Might be worth investing in some "bubba pucks", these replace the dead pucks which if left sitting on the heater plate of the generator at the end of the smoke period for the whole of the cook period can make the heater plate more difficult to clean.

Chez Bubba was kind enought to send some (3) across the pond for me. I find them invaluable in keeping the heater plate much cleaner, ideal for the "lazy smoker" who likes an easier life. This is the only place that sells them as far as I am aware:

http://www.chezbubba.com/

From what you said in your post you seem to have it just about right, everybody was new to the BS once upon a time so don't worry about asking as many questions as you want, I had so much help when I got started. :)

Manxman

heinz

Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Tried ordering some shiny pucks but the shopping cart didn't behave. I'll try again in a few days.

Heinz

Oldman

I suggest calling Chez, as that way you don't have to go through Paypal and then Chez can give you a break on the shipping cost.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

heinz

Good idea. Thanks. I'll give hime a call next week. Brisket is coming along fine (I think/hope). Looks like the lower rack will be done first, it's about 10 degrees ahead in the meat. Might just work out great yet.

Heinz

heinz

Well, first brisket smoke is over and done with. Not as I had hoped but got eaten nevertheless.

Going to have to check some temp probes before next time but I have a fealing the probes are right and the BS is low. I.e. have to set it about 20 degrees higher than the desired temp. More experimenting needed.

The biggest disapointment/surprise was the lack of a smoke-ring. Perhaps due to meat being so lean or perhaps I had the temp too low at the start. I'll try and correct for that next time but would appreciated any hints/suggestions. Perhaps 5 hours of smoke wasn't enough or perhaps 1/2 vent is not right. More experimenting.

I was pleasantly surprised that the meat was not dry. Perhaps a side-effect of pulling it right at 185. I left the second half in to 190+ and currently have it foiled/towelled. I'll check it out at midnight snack time.

All in all I'm pleased with the BDS but next time I'll set it up for a midnight smoke and then worry about keeping it warm or re-heating for mealtime.

Heinz

Oldman

QuoteQuote from Hab:
Big Smoker is correct. According to Harold McGee, you can only get a "smoke ring" by cooking over organic fuel such as wood, charcoal and/or gas. Burning of these types of fuel produces trace amounts of nitrogen dioxide. When it comes in contact with the meat surface it dissolves and eventually converts to nitric oxide, which react to the pigment in the meat to form a "pink ring". This can penetrate to a depth of 8-10 mm.

Although you are producing smoke in the BS, I am not sure the wood is burning hot enough to produce traces on nitrogen dioxide, or in the amount that would be needed to create a "smoke ring."

If you want a smoke ring then cheat by using Morton's Tender Quick. It will load up the surface of the meat with nitrogen dioxide and give you a great smoke ring.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

heinz

Is it a worthwhile "cheat"?

Would one apply it before the rub? In the rub? or?

Heinz