PID locations and protection

Started by al_sfbay, February 10, 2014, 02:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_sfbay

I have recently added a DigiQ and Power Raptor from BBQ Guru to my BDS 4 and am wondering if anybody has any good ways to protect them from the rain or do you just bring them inside.  If you have pictures even better!  Also for those that have this setup do you let the power raptor sit on the ground or do yo amount it to get it off the ground.  All advice is welcome.

Habanero Smoker

The best way it to have your set up under a popup shelter, or a permanent type of shelter, but the Bradley cover does a good job protecting the smoker from the elements when it is not is use.

As for the DigiQ and Raptor; you should bring them indoors after each use. During use, if you want further protection from rain coming in from the sides, you can place it in a clear plastic container. If you are worried about the units over heating, you make some ventilation holes, but so far I haven't found a need to add ventilation holes. Try to keep this setup out of direct sunlight.

I don't have any pictures, if I can get to it within the next couple of days I will posts some. The only con I've found with using these containers is that you need additional table/shelf space. I have both the DigiQ II and the Stoker, each requires a different size container. There are a couple of ways you can hook it up. After use, the container is used for storing you DigiQ, sensors, and other accessories.

1- Just invert the box(s) and place over the DigiQ and Raptor and run the wires under the box. This setup is unstable, because the slightest breeze can lift the box up and over your equipment leaving it exposed. So some type of weight on top of the box is needed to make it more stable. It is a good system to use, when a sudden storm comes through.

2- Cut (drill) holes through the container to run your cables through. Position these holes as close to the bottom as you can, and drill them in an area that aligns best with how your are going to run your cables.  Place your equipment inside, hook up the cables, and put the lid on. The largest cut will be for the power cord on your Raptor, and after running that cord through I will usually patch that area with duct tape.

Snapware works best, if you can find a size large enough.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

al_sfbay

Thanks Hab, I was thinking along the same lines.  My smoker is in a very protected place outdoors under an overhang, but it still sees weather when it is nasty out.  I do have the Bradley cover and it does do a good job of protecting, but this is an expensive electronic toy if it gets wet.  Oh, oops I'm in California, it doesn't rain here anymore!!
At any rate I would love to see one pics of your setup if possible.   

Habanero Smoker

I forgot to mention if you do a search, you will see permanent shelters some members have built to house there smoker. If you build one I would recommend you still bring in the DigiQ and Raptor.

I will try to get those pictures posted either tomorrow or Friday.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

When I made this I just put it together quickly one morning when I need to provide further protection for my DigiQ II and Raptor. I don't have a permanent shelter, and I use a popup shelter or rig something up when I need to smoke in inclement weather. It doesn't look pretty, but it works very well. As I stated in an earlier post, I found no need to drill any air vents, but you may want to monitor everything to make sure the equipment doesn't get too hot inside the box.

Here is the container that I converted as a weather resistant cover for the DigiQ/Raptor. It is a Sterilite 7 qt. latch box. You can find them in super markets, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart etc. I choose this box because it will hold both the DigiQ, probes, cords and Raptor.

This is the long side view. It is hard to see the holes, but one is for the pit probe and the other is for the food probe. Looking to the far right, you can see the two holes for the Raptor power cords.

Here is a slightly better view of the Pit and Temperature probe hole. The drill holes are 5/8"

Here is a better view of the holes for the power cord that go to the Raptor. There is no need to drill a hole for the power cord that goes to the DigiQ. It can easily be inserted through one of the holes made for the Raptor power cords. I made a rough template for the holes, and drew them about the same height and distance apart as they are on the Raptor. To make the holes, I first drill a 7/16" hole then used a nibbler tool. A keyhole saw will also work.

Here is everything setup inside the box. You need to feed the cords for the Raptor through first, then setup the DigiQ. I should have lowered the camera angel to show the food and pit probe coming out of the front.

Here is a view of the side where the Raptor power cords, and the DigiQ power cord exit the box. The only con is that you need to be careful that the DigiQ power cord doesn't scrape against the cut plastic. It is not shown here but I use electrical tape to cover the edges of the plastic. Also if there is a lot of wind, and I expect rain coming in from the side, I will use duct tape to cover the openings. This shows the setup with the cover on, but I forgot to take a picture from the other side with the cover on. Also not shown, is the small piece of 1/4" plywood I place under the Raptor, just incase some water does leak in, but this container has a small grove inside that will keep the Raptor out of any water that may leak in. Though I have never had a problem with leakage.

Here is a picture that shows that all the parts can be stored in the same box. Also if I'm am going to travel with this, I will wrap the DigiQ in some bubble wrap. I place my probes in 1 qt. sealable bags.

Here is a picture with the probes removed, so that you can get a better view how the container is packed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.