Brie

Started by Phatman, February 11, 2014, 05:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phatman

Spent the afternoon smoking up a batch of cheese. My question is, what is the resting time for Brie?  Can't find any with an expiration date further than 2 weeks out at best, so a little worried about a 4 week rest. Plus I thought I read somewhere that the really soft cheeses needed much less time to become edible after smoking?  Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saber 4

Smoking is also a form of preservative from the old days so you should get extra time and I also remember reading that the softer cheeses are ready sooner. Hopefully pensrock or one of the other cheese guru's will be along to help you better.

pensrock

I am not a fan of Brie so I have never tried smoking it. Softer cheeses do absorb the smoke better than the hard cheeses so they do tend to mellow out sooner. But that is all depending on the ones own taste buds. Some people are much more sensitive to certain tastes than others.
The smoke layer will protect the cheese from mold and keep it from going bad by getting moldy for a very long time. But once you cut into the block of smoked cheese then it can get moldy just like any other fresh piece of cheese. I have had smoked uncut pieces of cheese in my fridge for over 14 months not vac packed only wrapped with Glad Wrap and put into a zip bag and there was no sign of mold on any of it and it was as good as the day I put it in there. So the smoke layer does a very good job. Now if the Brie can go bad due to something other than mold, than I do not know if the smoke layer will help with that or not. The only time I ever had Brie was at a fancy restaurant and for an appetizer they had fried Brie, I did not even know what it was except a cheese. Boy was I sorry I ordered it. LOL. I know many other people LOVE it and I'm not knocking it, it is just not to my liking.

Phatman

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave Smith

Hi
I have some brie in the fridge from four months ago ( seems like the last decent weather we had).
Smoked using a cold smoke generator, using beech dust. Have kept it for 6 months before, although it's normally eaten sooner
I am what I am.

pokermeister

I have never smoked brie, but have done cream cheese several times. It is ready in about 2-3 weeks. You can always keep a log and try a taste every few days after 2 weeks, until you find the taste appropriate.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!