A couple of Saturday birds

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, February 15, 2014, 02:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Decided to have a go at my first whole chickens.  Stuffed with some onions, lemons, thyme, salt and pepper.  I brushed them all over with yellow mustard then rubbed them with some Jan's rub.  Smoked them at 230 F for about 3 hours with hickory until the IT was 145 F, then finished off under the broiler.

They finished a bit early so I FTC'd one of them until we're ready to eat.  Can't wait to dig in, the kitchen smells wonderful.  My wife (Jann also) says the smell is driving her nuts, she just wants to go and rip apart one of the birds.

pjplovedog

Those look awesome.  Be sure to let us know how they turned out!  Congratulations. 
:)

Pic-N-Stick

ragweed

BigRich

Should have left them under the broiler longer.

OldHickory

Looks good.  Was your final IT about 165* ?
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Saber 4

KyNola

BigRich

Because when the skin looks like that it's too rubbery, for us anyway.

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: OldHickory on February 19, 2014, 12:15:32 PM
Looks good.  Was your final IT about 165* ?

Yes, I took them out of the smoker at 145 F and put them under the broiler until 165.  It only took about 2 minutes under the broiler.  I think next time I'll leave them in the smoker until 165 IT and do a quick finish under the broiler, they turned out well but maybe a bit too moist if that makes sense.  The skin was fine, here's a pic of one after coming out of the broiler.  The taste was great, I'll do this recipe again for sure.

NePaSmoKer

Salt under the skin and fridge uncovered for 4-5 hours will make for some juicy meat and crispy skin. Low and slow