1973 Iron Head Sportster

Started by RedJada, February 15, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

Anyone know anything about this bike? I have an opportunity to buy one that is completely tore down. All parts are there. Owner wanted to turn it into a hard tail bobber. I'm looking at a 2k investment. Ideas, suggestions???? Going to look tomorrow.

Jim O

Offer $1500 and  if you get it for $1800 ,it's good,IF all parts are there. You can still get parts if you look hard enough for them (if needed).
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

RedJada

Thanks Jim, he says he has all the parts. Been looking for an old mussel car to tinker with. But saw this yesterday and caught me eye. Never owned or worked on a bike before, let alone a Harley. Wish me luck.

Jim O

Good luck ! Suggest you google the make/model/year . It may be a good source of info and parts.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

RedJada

Went and looked today. Owner was great about marking and storing parts. He has everything wrapped in newspaper and plastic. He took the time to label everything as well. No dents on the skins or tank but two small chips on the tank, no biggie. $1600, I'll pick it up in two weeks...  ;D ;D ;D

Jim O

GREAT !! Keep us informed of your progress. Pix are good also.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

cajunboudreaux

I have a 67. Great bike. For $1600 I would jump all over it. Should be a 1000cc iron head engine. Mine still has a lot of pep but only a 4 speed transmission and reverse shift and brake. All and all it is a fun little bar hopper. I paid $3500 for mine.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

RedJada

Yes, it's a 1000cc's. Did a quick tour of the garage looking at parts. All there, wrapped up nicely and labeled. I'll pick her up in about two weeks. Gives me time to make room in the shed and time for the owner to gather everything up. I did bring home the manual. Very detailed. I shouldn't have a problem with getting her going. Just going to take some time. Here's a photo of what it will look like when I get her home.

cajunboudreaux

I wasn't aware of the 73 having a opposite shift and brake as well. Thought that was only the late 60 models. that is pretty cool. It does take some getting used to. Will be a fun little project. Good Luck.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

Jim O

The foot controls were not only on the "other" side,but the gears were 1 down and 2 (or 3 ) up , if I remember correctly. !
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

RedJada

Quote from: Jim O on February 18, 2014, 12:21:05 PM
The foot controls were not only on the "other" side,but the gears were 1 down and 2 (or 3 ) up , if I remember correctly. !

Yes, right side shift and 1 down, 3 up. Doing research I have found these bikes were made to race like NASCAR. That's the reason for the right shift. When your turning left around the curve, it was difficult to shift. So they switched the rear brake and shift lever to opposite sides.

Still cold here but I convinced the wife to let me work on the heads inside the house. I got them assembled and did a wet test. Had very minor leakage on one exhaust valve. Hit summit racing and picked up everything I need to Lapp the valves. Tomorrows project with pictures.

Also had the cylinders checked out. They have been bored .020 over. Pistons are .010 over but measure as stock 3.18. So there is some ware there. I have an appointment Monday to see the best way to go. Thinking 30 over with pistons to fit.

pensrock

My 73 Triumph Trident has right side shift. I never had any problems when shifting or braking. Many of my friends used to say how hard it would be to ride. I could ride it, get off and get on a different bike with a left side shift and ride it fine. And you are correct about the right side shift for racing.

RedJada

Assembled the valves in the heads yesterday and wet tested, no leaks. But didn't like how the valve seats looked so disassembled and lapped. Just makes me feel better.

Before lapping

After lapping

Taking the cylinders and pistons to be checked out tomorrow. Next weekends project, assemble rocker boxes and check tolerances.

RedJada

Finally got some decent weather. I had the cylinders bored out to 20 over. Installed the new pistons and cylinders yesterday. I just sat the heads and rocker boxes on there for the photo OP. ;D Today, assemble rocker boxes and install with the heads, and how knows what else. I really need to clean the garage but this is more fun... LOL

Jim O

Movin' rite along !!

Think I'll uncover mine today. Won't ride it tho' until they wash the salt off the roads. Don't want to get salt residue on my chrome. Gotta say, Harley does a good job on the chrome . Rechrome
my pipes every couple of years to get rid of the blue,but everything else is mint.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling