Real Burgers

Started by Tulla, February 16, 2014, 05:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tulla

We all know the USA is the place to go for the ultimate Hamburger, so with that in mind i am putting my trust in my fellow smokers across the pond for their input in the best patties.
I have 2 kilo's of prime steak mince and after scouring the internet and forums i thought where can i find the best recipe for the patties, then i thought, well why not just ask here, with the knowledge that is available here it would seem futile to go anywhere else.
Most pointers are simply adding an egg yolk, black pepper and a minced onion. Is it really as easy as that to achieve that "pure beef" flavour?
I want these  to be as good as macdonalds !!! ;D

RedJada

Quote from: Tulla on February 16, 2014, 05:16:34 AM
I want these  to be as good as macdonalds !!! ;D

Boy, That's pretty sad. :o LOL. The most important thing to a great burger is the meat. You want at least an 80/20 mixture (80% meat / 20% fat) I prefer 75/25 mixture. As for flavoring, I just use some salt, pepper and garlic. Mix your spices in with the ground meat loosely. Don't over work the meat, even when making the patties. Remember, your making patties not bricks. My perferd method of cooking is on the grill, med/high heat. Just like cooking a steak, throw them on there for about 3-4 minutes each side. I like cook to medium to medium well. A good bun is good as well. Try to stay away from the "typical" burger buns. Top with your favorite topping and condiments. Hope this helps.

Tulla

Thanks RedJada.........as for Macdonalds i really was joking.

tailfeathers

Hand patty the meat. I like to make balls then flatten them on waxed paper, easier to make somewhat uniform sized patties that way. After you make your patties push down on the center of each one with your thumb to leave a thumbprint about 1/2 the thickness of the patty in the center. This will keep them from swelling up in the middle when you grill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

TedEbear

Remember, you should always cook ground beef to an IT of at least 160*F.

Safe Minimum Cooking Temperatures

"Ground meats are riskier, because the contaminated meat surface is broken into small fragments and spread through the mass. The interior of a raw hamburger usually does contain bacteria, and is safest if cooked well done.

Because E. Coli is killed at 155 degrees Fahrenheit, the USDA sets the minimum safe temperature for ground beef at 160 degrees Fahrenheit. We can only second this.
"

pjplovedog

My favorite is to very simply hand  flatten a high quality, perhaps grass fed or american Wagyu beef.  If the weather is inclement, I like to cook mine quickly over medium high flame in my cast iron skillet.  I use a little seasoned salt and black pepper.  Don't overcook or you'll lose all your juice.  At the end, I LOVE to add some home smoked cheese- my favorite is Colby Jack or anything you like. 

I use brioche buns from a local store here, I think it's key to have a softer bun vs. a hard roll type.  I always warm my buns on the grill or in the pan cut side down.   

Enjoy. 

renoman

The MOST important thing to remember is to use Alberta beef.

STLstyle

Quote from: renoman on February 16, 2014, 08:12:08 AM

Now that's a highly debatable statement...

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

love the smoke

For around 2 pounds of burger:
•   2T Teriyaki (the secret ingredient and totally underrated in burgers)
•   2tsp Worch to taste
•   2tsp Tabasco Chipotle sauce
•   1T minced garlic
•   Freshly-ground salt and pepper
•   1T your favorite savory BBQ rub, with plenty of mesquite or hickory flavor, to taste
•   1 egg as a binder

1) Whisk the above together, then gently fold in the meat.

2) I use a patty-maker (a must if you don't have one) to make them into 1/3 lb burgers which I find cook up the best.

3) Then, when you put them on the grill (450-500 set temp), put a small sliver of butter in the middle top of each burger.  It will slowly melt into the center and prevent it from getting dry.

4) Let rest 5 min then serve with lightly toasted buns!

The best burgers I have ever had
compliments of Java Joe
LTS

Tulla

Thanks everyone, certainly given me plenty to work with.
Renoman, i want the BEST burger not the worlds most expensive, mind you a flight to Alberta this time of the year would be nice. ;)

pjplovedog

Quote from: renoman on February 16, 2014, 08:12:08 AM

I think the request was for a burger from the USA!!!  LOL...  justing kidding. You're my next door neighbor.  :)

love Alberta beef when I can get it.
PJP

DukeNukeIt

If you want flavor and juiciness, add a couple of pieces of white bread mixed with bacon fat (from the bacon you fried up to put on the burger) to your meat mixture.  Add a bit of Worcestershire or Soy sauce for a salty kick :)

Don't forget to grill your hamburger buns to get them nice and toasted with little grill marks!

Tulla

I plumped for a mix of black pepper, salt, minced onion, teriyaki, worcester sauce and a bit of egg to bind it all.
Have just grilled 4 on the bbq and toasted the buns.......well,heaven on a stick.
Thanks so much peeps for all your help in getting me on the right tram.

Smokesmore

What I've learned is that it is all about the beef. Find a packing house or Butcher that processes the animals. They will have the freshest and widest varieties.  I'm in favor of corn fed beef over grass fed, there's more flavor. You can go pick up a 1lb of 80/20 at Walmart and see what flavor less meat tastes like.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk