Pork belly

Started by stuper01, February 18, 2014, 11:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuper01

just ordered 7lbs of brined pork belly from the local butcher. 

picking it up tomorrow.

what type of wood, and how long for best results? 

I am going to search posts... but want a couple different ideas.

Ka Honu

What are you trying to make out of it? If it's cured for bacon, hickory is always good.

Gafala

I use a maple cure then smoke for 2 1/2 hours with Hickory or Apple and a IT of 145degs.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

RedJada

Never bought a brined belly, always fresh. If your looking for bacon. Then you really should try 10.5's recipe.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon

It's as easy as it gets. Also, hickory, maple, apple all go good with pork.

Saber 4

Quote from: RedJada on February 18, 2014, 05:00:30 PM
Never bought a brined belly, always fresh. If your looking for bacon. Then you really should try 10.5's recipe.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon

It's as easy as it gets. Also, hickory, maple, apple all go good with pork.

X2 you can't go wrong with 10.5s recipe

Tenpoint5

If its cured and ready to smoke from the brining. I would suggest Maple or Apple for a lighter smoke flavoring. Or use OAK or Hickory for a more pronounced smoke flavor. I smoke for 2 hours and go to an IT of 152
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

stuper01

All great input, thanks!!!!   Bacon is the goal when we are done.... Hopefully!!

Gonna make a few different rubs too... And the 10.5 recipe..

I will post up pics after.

KyNola

If no one else will ask I will.  What is the belly brined in?  Never heard of a commercially brined pork belly but I'm sure I am in the minority.

NorthShoreMN

Quote from: KyNola on February 19, 2014, 06:46:33 PM
If no one else will ask I will.  What is the belly brined in?  Never heard of a commercially brined pork belly but I'm sure I am in the minority.
First I have heard of it also

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

ragweed

Thanks guys.  I thought I was just being a pork belly newbie.  Never heard of it either.

stuper01

It's the local butcher. He brines his pork, and then makes his own bacon....

So.... Does that answer the question???

Never asked him exactly what it was

Saber 4

Quote from: stuper01 on February 20, 2014, 04:37:07 PM
It's the local butcher. He brines his pork, and then makes his own bacon....

So.... Does that answer the question???

Never asked him exactly what it was

I think it answers the why and how but not the what's in it part of the question so that you are safe in your preparation method. I would ask the butcher for the ingredients and how long and what temp he does his since it is his recipe. If you can get the info from the butcher then the bacon guru's can make sure you're on the right track for duplicating with the Bradley.

Habanero Smoker

Although you can brine fresh belly to enhance it flavor without making it into bacon, for use as grilling or roasting fresh pork belly. In this case, it seems like you purchased uncooked belly (side) bacon. Once it is brined with a certain amount of sodium nitrites, and/or salt; it is now bacon even when uncooked or smoked. I'm sure he cured it properly since he is curing it for bacon, but to clear up any misunderstanding, as mentioned; you should ask the butcher how he cured it, and at want temperature(s) he smokes/cooks his bacon.

If he doesn't smoke his bacon, you will need to go by the way it was cured. If he used sodium nitrite at the proper levels, you can either cold or hot smoke, or use a higher temperature. What I mean by hot smoking is using the cabinet temperatures of 100°F - 180°F.  If it is only salt cured, and if your butcher used at least a 10% salt solution (about 1lb. of salt per 1 gallon liquid) you can either cold or hot smoke it, or if he dry brined with only salt, he should have used an amount of salt 2% - 3% of the green weight of the belly. If he used less than 10% solution or less the 2% salt equal to the green weight, and/or didn't use sodium nitrite keep the cabinet temperature at least 200°F. Note: USDA states you should not cook any uncured meat in a smoker, at less than 225°F.

I mostly use pecan for all pork products, but apple and maple also work well for belly bacon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)