stoneware bread cloches

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, February 22, 2014, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Hey folks.  I didn't want to pollute the bread-making thread, but some folks on there refer to cloches.  I googled this and was all over the map.  Maybe it's because I live in Canada where everything online tends to cost 3X what is normal but prices were all over the map.  These simple clay pots seem to range from 40 - 100 bucks.  For clay?

All I'm looking for is something stoneware to make long, crusty loaves of bread.  Why are these things so pricy?

What should I be looking for?

Saber 4

tailfeathers

I have the same one as Saber. I got it for myself for Christmas. I ordered it through Amazon it was somewhere around $45 with shipping. Seemed pretty dear for what it consists of but it sure turns out some awesome bread. I'd order it again if I were to break this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Yikes! Glad I bought mine when I did. After reading the original post I went on to Amazon and the same pan I ordered in Dec for under $50 with shipping is now 59.95 plus shipping. I will say I checked a lot of dept stores, kitchen stores and restaurant supply outfits before I ordered mine looking to save a few shekels and came up empty. Couldn't find what I was looking for at any price. I guess I'll be paying very close attention when I handle it from now on.

tskeeter

Why not just use a new clay flower pot?  I expect the answer, and the reason why a clay cloche is so expensive, is that a clay flower pot is likely to have pockets of air in the clay which make the pot susceptible to breaking when heated.  Removing air from the clay to prevent air pockets adds time and cost to the manufacturing process, which is reflected in the price of clay baking products.

tailfeathers

The cloche is also covered with a fairly tight fitting lid of the same material, and the entire cloche (pan with cover in place) is preheated at 450F for 1/2 hr before the bread dough is put in it. You remove the heated cloche, put the dough in it, cover and get back into the oven as quickly as you can. The bread bakes covered for the first 1/2 hour then the cover is removed and the bread bakes for another 8-15 minutes depending on how "crusty" you want it. I think the fact that the dough is enclosed for the initial baking is the secret behind the recipe. I don't think it could be replicated in an earthenware flower pot, but I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure. I would also check into the manufacturing process before I prepared food in any vessel not specifically made for food prep, to make sure no unsafe chemicals, etc are used.

Saber 4

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 23, 2014, 09:05:01 AM
The cloche is also covered with a fairly tight fitting lid of the same material, and the entire cloche (pan with cover in place) is preheated at 450F for 1/2 hr before the bread dough is put in it. You remove the heated cloche, put the dough in it, cover and get back into the oven as quickly as you can. The bread bakes covered for the first 1/2 hour then the cover is removed and the bread bakes for another 8-15 minutes depending on how "crusty" you want it. I think the fact that the dough is enclosed for the initial baking is the secret behind the recipe. I don't think it could be replicated in an earthenware flower pot, but I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure. I would also check into the manufacturing process before I prepared food in any vessel not specifically made for food prep, to make sure no unsafe chemicals, etc are used.

Good answer, another trick I picked up from someone here was to put the lid beside the cloche in the oven if I am going to bake a second loaf. Then I can take the first loaf out and drop the dough for the second loaf without having to go through the 30 minute pre-heat again, it's been working great.

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks for your help guys.  Looks like the cheapest price for me online is to order directly from Williams-Sonoma, even with shipping and duty.  I'll have a look around some local stores first before ordering.

tailfeathers

It's kind of a spendy pan, but there isn't a week that goes by without me using it. I love that the basic recipe is so simple yet so versatile. Just changing a few ingredients for a world of different flavors. It appears to me that the possibilities are virtually limitless.

tailfeathers

Saber-
Are you doing any preheat at all on the bottom half when you do back to back loaves? Or are you quickly removing the baked loaf to a rack, next dough loaded, covered with the lid that remained in the oven while the first loaf finished and straight back in? If this is the method, does the second loaf have the texture as the first ?

Saber 4

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 23, 2014, 09:56:28 AM
Saber-
Are you doing any preheat at all on the bottom half when you do back to back loaves? Or are you quickly removing the baked loaf to a rack, next dough loaded, covered with the lid that remained in the oven while the first loaf finished and straight back in? If this is the method, does the second loaf have the texture as the first ?

The simple answer is yes and yes.  I pull the first loaf to a rack and drop the second loaf immediately. I prep the second batch of dough as soon as the first one goes in so it has about the same rise time as the first. And yes the texture is identical you won't be able to tell them apart after their both out. Stay tuned for another thread I'm about to post on a new use for the crusty bread dough that I just tried, you will love it.

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

iceman

Picked up one from Amazon. About the same price as WS but we have prime free shipping. Just tried it out for the first time the other day. Not picture perfect the first go around but sure made a tasty sammie!  :)

OldHickory

Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Saber 4

Looks good iceman, how did the parchment paper work for you? I've found after the first couple of bakes with some dusted flour that it gets seasoned and the bread just pops out with no flour dusting.