stoneware bread cloches

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, February 22, 2014, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

Quote from: Saber 4 on February 24, 2014, 05:28:32 PM
Looks good iceman, how did the parchment paper work for you? I've found after the first couple of bakes with some dusted flour that it gets seasoned and the bread just pops out with no flour dusting.
same with my cloche. I wiped it down with a paper towel dampened with canola oil the first couple times I preheated it, but since seasoning it I haven't used anything more than the flour I put on the dough to form the loaf after rising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

renoman

That stone cloche looks like a great idea but I can't get it delivered up here for less the 90+ bucks. Is it something new? I wonder if there will be some reasonably priced knock-offs soon.

manfromplaid

i found the same thing renoman  the cost to get it shipped to the edmonton area was high. so i went to crappy tire and bought a 5qt lagostina oval coated cast iron  about 65 bucks  works like a charm.

iceman

Quote from: Saber 4 on February 24, 2014, 05:28:32 PM
Looks good iceman, how did the parchment paper work for you? I've found after the first couple of bakes with some dusted flour that it gets seasoned and the bread just pops out with no flour dusting.

Just using the parchment for the first few times. The plan is to wipe down with oil a couple more times to season it and try it without paper. Wish I would of found one of these years ago! I'm really liking this no knead baking. Tried a pizza dough awhile ago and loved it. Used half caputo 00 and half UB all purpose flour. Went easy on the toppins and it was a hit with the boss lady.
Thanks for the input folks. Looks like it's time to re write the baking notes.  ;D

tailfeathers

I'm thinking Saber

tailfeathers

Oops I meant to say that Saber, Snoopy and if I'm not mistaken Sifumar should be getting royalty checks from the outfit that sells these cloches!

Saber 4

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 25, 2014, 03:39:57 PM
Oops I meant to say that Saber, Snoopy and if I'm not mistaken Sifumar should be getting royalty checks from the outfit that sells these cloches!

Now that would be nice, of course I keep checking CL for a cheap enamel Dutch oven so I can do the occasional round loaf for special occasions so I don't ruin the seasoning on my cast iron.

NorthShoreMN

They make Dutch oven sized parchment liners that work well. Got mine at wal-world very reasonable if I remember right. 10 to Box.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

WoodlawnSmoker

Well, after looking around at local shops and asking if they could order one in with no success, we bit the bullet and ordered one from WS.  This is an extravagant purchase for Canadians because of horrendous shipping charges.  Ah well, it's a treat for my birthday.  I'll post a pic of our first loaf once it arrives.  I will give it up to you Yanks, you sure do logistics well, wish we could pull that off without getting gouged.

Saber 4

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on February 26, 2014, 04:56:11 PM
Well, after looking around at local shops and asking if they could order one in with no success, we bit the bullet and ordered one from WS.  This is an extravagant purchase for Canadians because of horrendous shipping charges.  Ah well, it's a treat for my birthday.  I'll post a pic of our first loaf once it arrives.  I will give it up to you Yanks, you sure do logistics well, wish we could pull that off without getting gouged.

I can't believe WS doesn't ship from within Canada since they have so many stores there. We need to start figuring out what we can ship across the borders both ways as individuals maybe we can start helping get the things we can't get on our side cheaper.

WoodlawnSmoker

A nice cheese (smoked extra sharp cheddar) loaf to have for lunch along with some rainbow trout and friulano cheese.

tailfeathers

Looks really good! You will love that cloche, there is no end to the combinations of ingredients for different flavored breads.

Saber 4

That is a great looking loaf and like TF said the combo's are only limited by your imagination and flavor preferences.

Tulla

Just purchased one of the La Cloche Bakers and here is the first loaf. Makes a lovely loaf.

Saber 4

Nice loaf Tulla, you'll be hooked now for sure.