stoneware bread cloches

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, February 22, 2014, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tulla

Saber, i am just tucking into a slice as i  speak. Must say these things make an exceptional end product. Cant wait to start getting adventurous with this.

Saber 4

You can do all kinds of neat add ins to the basic recipe like raisins and cinnamon, shredded cheese and peppers, herbs, bacon and cheese, or you can substitute one cup of flour with one cup of rye flour and caraway seeds and get a real tasty rye bread.

Also you can adjust the crustiness by playing with the un covered cook time.

WoodlawnSmoker

Good stuff Tulla!  This purchase was a stretch for us but it really does do the job well.  The Farmer's Markets are going to be setting up very soon here, I can't wait to troll them for fresh ingredients to add to these loaves, I expect new creations with each season.  It's been a long winter here, I can't wait to prepare this stuff and sit on a sunny deck enjoying it all.

tailfeathers

Read this and just had to mix up another green olive/pepperoni/cheddar batch of dough to bake tomorrow!!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

Quote from: tailfeathers on March 26, 2014, 04:30:54 PM
Read this and just had to mix up another green olive/pepperoni/cheddar batch of dough to bake tomorrow!!

That sounds awesome, I wonder if you could fold in a little bit of pizza sauce when you take the dough out of the bowl and have a full blown pizza loaf?

tailfeathers

That's an interesting idea, I just might give that a try. What would you say, maybe between a couple T of pizza sauce? 1/4 cup? I'm thinking sort of gently fold it into the dough when I take it out of the bowl for the 1/2 hr rise while the cloche preheats. Good idea, thanks Saber! I will let you know how it "pans out"!

Saber 4

Quote from: tailfeathers on March 26, 2014, 06:50:16 PM
That's an interesting idea, I just might give that a try. What would you say, maybe between a couple T of pizza sauce? 1/4 cup? I'm thinking sort of gently fold it into the dough when I take it out of the bowl for the 1/2 hr rise while the cloche preheats. Good idea, thanks Saber! I will let you know how it "pans out"!

I'd say your on the right track with the amount of sauce, I think you'll just have to eyeball it as you fold it in, that's what I do with the cinnamon when I do raisin bread now. I put the raisins in when I mix the dough then when I fold the dough I layer on the cinnamon so I have layers instead of cinnamon colored bread. Can't wait to see the pictures of how this one "pans out"!

Tulla

Excellent ideas. That is what i enjoy about this whole adventure. You take the fundamentals, observe input from like minded people, let the creative juices flow and run with it.
As far as the bread goes the missus loves it and reckons it is spot on.

tailfeathers

Well here we go...I like these to cover the bowl overnighthere it is just before removing from the bowl, it rose nicelyfolded in about 3T of pizza sauce and formed into a loafAfter 1/2 hr removed cover from clocheeight more minutes uncovereddeliciousThank you Saber for the idea to add the pizza sauce, it really put this "over the top"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tailfeathers

Well here we go...

tailfeathers

Here's the shot after 1/2 hr when cloche uncovered. Didn't take on the other post for some reason. Thanks everybody!

tskeeter

Quote from: Saber 4 on March 26, 2014, 06:20:37 PM
Quote from: tailfeathers on March 26, 2014, 04:30:54 PM

That sounds awesome, I wonder if you could fold in a little bit of pizza sauce when you take the dough out of the bowl and have a full blown pizza loaf?

Guys, I'm thinking that pizza sauce, or marinara sauce, would add a lot of moisture to your bread dough.  But, if you used something like sun dried tomatoes and oregano, or squeezed the juice out of fresh tomatoes through some cheese cloth, you might be able to get the flavors for a pizza bread, without the additional moisture.  If you've got a dehydrator, I'd think partially dried fresh tomato slices, chopped up, would work well, too.

tailfeathers

I've still got some tomatoes that I dehydrated last fall with basil and oregano, and in fact the first time I made crusty bread I chopped some up in the dough and it turned out pretty good. I have to say the flavor is better on this loaf though, but you are right, the loaf is plenty "dense". Not to the point of being doughy, but I was thinking if I did this again I might cut back the water by a few T to compensate for the additional moisture provided by the sauce.

tskeeter

Quote from: tailfeathers on March 27, 2014, 02:16:40 PM
I've still got some tomatoes that I dehydrated last fall with basil and oregano, and in fact the first time I made crusty bread I chopped some up in the dough and it turned out pretty good. I have to say the flavor is better on this loaf though, but you are right, the loaf is plenty "dense". Not to the point of being doughy, but I was thinking if I did this again I might cut back the water by a few T to compensate for the additional moisture provided by the sauce.

Might take some trial and error to get it dialed in, but I certainly think you're on the right track.

I am certainly enjoying this thread and the ideas you guys are coming up with.  Haven't done any serious baking since I was a young snot working in restaurant bakeries.  But you guys are giving me ideas.  Now, if I could just dump this day job for a life of leisure, baking, smoking, and sausage making, I'd be in hog heaven.  Of course, hog heaven is located right next to the smoke house, which is next to the micro brewery, which is next to the winery, which will now be next to the bakery.  Obviously, I'm not gonna have any time for a paying job any more.

tailfeathers

Be careful what you wish for. I finally got back to work the middle of last week, 1/2 day every other day. The time off hasn't been what you would call the fun kind, haven't been able to get out to the smoker but I have been able to do a little dehydrating/cooking/baking (thank God). It's about the only thing keeping me from going stir crazy. That and these forums. SWMBO has been fairly cooperative on some new toys, I've been playing the sympathy card pretty hard. Got a new KA stand mixer, and just ordered  chef's choice grinder attachment for it as well as a LEM 5# vertical stuffer. Sausage making here I come!!!